MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Posts Suggestion..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I think that you guys (as in developers) should see if you can make it so that every time that you log in after having logged out, all the topics you didn't read that contain new posts are still marked as having a new post (like if there was a new post when you logged out, it is still new to you when you log back in and out and in until you finally read it). It's a feature that's available in IPB and I think it'd be cool to have it in MyBB because that's what my forum runs off of and it gets annoying when I have to go into every topic and find a post that I haven't read (I'm an Admin so I have to make sure the rules are enforced).

Do you think you guys could make this feature available in a new version sooner or later?

Once, again, sorry if this topic has been made already.
Yeah I've also wanted this for the longest time. I think Tikitiki and Peter have tried to implement this, but so far it stresses the server more than usual.
This is exactly what I want as well.. would make for an excellent addition to MyBB.
DennisTT Wrote:Yeah I've also wanted this for the longest time. I think Tikitiki and Peter have tried to implement this, but so far it stresses the server more than usual.

Any way you do this will end up stressing the server more than the cookie based method. Doing this requires storing read data locally (in the database) and requires an extra query to fetch it in certain scripts.

You'll end up taking a hit in resources if you want this option no matter how well the code is optimized. The trick is saving execution time in other places in MyBB, this way we can deal with the extra processing without it begin much of an issue.
We're actually using the database to track read threads at the moment - cookies are only used for guests.