MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mysql_query(SELECT COUNT(*) Syntax for MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to use the MySQL Select Count command, but I don't know how to execute a normal mysql_query because MyBB uses the $db-> object to run MySQL queries.

Does anyone know what the MyBB syntax for the MySQL query below is?

mysql_query(SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `mybb_users` WHERE uid = '1')
$query = $db->query('SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ' . TABLE_PREFIX . 'users WHERE id = 1');

or

$query = $db->simple_select('users', 'COUNT(*)', 'id = 1');
When I execute this on PHPMyAdmin, I get a value of 4.

When I execute it on MyBB localhost, I get a value of 1.

Why are they different?

What would be the correct PHP syntax to get the same result as PHPMyAdmin?
PHPMyAdmin returns a field that has the value. Localhost I believe returns the number of rows, which is always one when you use the COUNT function. You could do this on localhost though:
$query = $db->query("SELECT COUNT(uid) as count FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "users WHERE uid=1");
$count = $db->fetch_field($query, "count");

Explanation of code:
When using a SELECT COUNT query, it is faster to use the primary key of the table, in this case uid, than to use * because its less data it has to remember. In this example I use the keyword "as" to create an alias. This is what the name of the field will be when I retrieve the data. $db->fetch_field has two parameters: The first is the resource query, the second is the name of the field you wish to retrieve. In this case the name of the field is "count" because I aliased it to that.
Stupid question: Shouldn't the number always 1? There's always only one user with uid 1, otherwise you'd have a mysql error (primary key with same value).

Btw: there's also a function called "num_rows":
$query = $db->simple_select("users", "uid", "uid=1");
$count = $db->num_rows($query);
While there is the $db->num_rows, it is going to be slower than using the count function.
Yep, but sometimes (especially for larger queries with eg joins or queries you'll run later) it's better to use it Wink
(2015-01-14, 01:50 PM)JonesĀ H Wrote: [ -> ]Stupid question: Shouldn't the number always 1? There's always only one user with uid 1, otherwise you'd have a mysql error (primary key with same value).

Btw: there's also a function called "num_rows":

$query = $db->simple_select("users", "uid", "uid=1");
$count = $db->num_rows($query);

Yes. Otherwise you'd have PK conflicts.
To all who replied, I didn't clarify myself:

The result from PHPMyAdmin was different than the result I received from the MySQL query with PHP.

It turns out I needed to use "$db->fetch_array($myqueryexample)" to get the same SELECT COUNT(*) result.