MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need someone to help with a serious problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hopefully this is the correct forum to post this.

I run an attachment heavy mybb forum (v1.83) and I'm now experiencing serious issues with my attachment.php file which is causing my VPS to shutdown. I've tried allocating more memory, resources, etc. but nothing ever works. Site will be up for a few hours then crash.

I'm pulling my hair out and have quite a few disgruntled members.

I'm willing to pay (I don't have much) someone to help solve my problems.

============================
Notes from VPS host
============================

We have given the log details, which is showing the processes that is making a high load on the server. We have tweaked the Apache webserver performance by having the following modifications,

===
Increased Max Requests Per Child
Enabled Keep-Alive
Reduced Keep-Alive Timeout
Increased Max Keep-Alive Requests
Reduced Timeout
===

Also tweaked the mysql configuration using the tool called mysqltuner.pl and added the following parameters on my.cnf for better performance,

query_cache_size
tmp_table_size
max_heap_table_size
thread_cache_size

Now you have to check the scripts on your forum, which is causing the load spike on the server and remove the unwanted and update the required one to their latest.

----------------------------------------------

It's still crashing none stop and they keep telling me it's my attachment.php file that is causing it. I've even re-upped the original attachment.php from the MyBB downloads and still having issues.

Thanks for listening and hopefully someone is willing to help.
Can I ask why you are using the attachments over a file upload service (On your VPS still?) while not a real solution, a combination of Xthreads and any old file upload script you should be able to make it members only.
Are these attachments mainly images or files? Are they per post or per thread?
Using attachments because I have plans for the attachments the members are uploading in a different phase of the website.

I just got a new multi-attachment plugin developed (https://blueimp.github.io/jQuery-File-Upload/) which works flawlessly with 1.8 but can't use because site keeps crashing.

Note: the site was crashing prior to the new plugin. Prior to this plugin, I was using the aJax multiupload plugin.

(2015-01-14, 05:40 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Are these attachments mainly images or files? Are they per post or per thread?

Images/videos only and they are both threads and post.
Is this a OpenVZ based VPS? If so have you thought about moving to Xen or KVM based?

The problem with OpenVZ is it's not the best for active forums because you aren't always guaranteed to have your full resources. With Xen and KVM it's more like a dedicated server in terms of resources.

Also I'd suggest a VPS with SSD drives, it's much better for database driven sites such as forums.
Uploading videos? That might be the problem. Have you considered using YouTube for your videos?
(2015-01-14, 11:08 PM)marcgo15 Wrote: [ -> ]Is this a OpenVZ based VPS? If so have you thought about moving to Xen or KVM based?

The problem with OpenVZ is it's not the best for active forums because you aren't always guaranteed to have your full resources. With Xen and KVM it's more like a dedicated server in terms of resources.

Also I'd suggest a VPS with SSD drives, it's much better for database driven sites such as forums.

Yes. It is an openVZ. My problem with KVM is the ability to upgrade. Makes sense though and something I'm going to have to look into. SSD won't work because of my constant need to upgrade HDD space.

(2015-01-15, 10:40 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Uploading videos? That might be the problem. Have you considered using YouTube for your videos?

I didn't realize uploading videos would be a problem. They are not streaming them from my site, just UP/DN.

So would migrating to another forum software alleviate stability problems?

Thanks for the replies.
Choosing another forum softare isn't goign to helpwith the problem. You will either need to get a more powerful server if you want to continue allowing video uploads or go with Youtube. I know Youtube has an API, but I haven't looked into what all it can do.
(2015-01-15, 11:42 AM)SteelCurtain Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-14, 11:08 PM)marcgo15 Wrote: [ -> ]Is this a OpenVZ based VPS? If so have you thought about moving to Xen or KVM based?

Yes.  It is an openVZ.  My problem with KVM is the ability to upgrade.  Makes sense though and something I'm going to have to look into.  SSD won't work because of my constant need to upgrade HDD space.

Yes that is true. If KVM isn't an option then you could look into a dedicated server if you have the budget for it. Chances are good that having a box to yourself will have everything running normal again.
I really think my idea really would end up being the best solution for you. With a combination of an upload script and Xthreads you should be able to mimic current functionality and store things in a different manner.

The biggest problem currently migrating your old data.

And tbh I don't think you could ever change forum softwares, most have problems with attachments in the merge system if I recall correctly.

Example: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=293
With the upload to a seperate script? I'm not too sure how well it'd work but yeah.