MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Bootstrap or not?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I am working on a new theme - its fairly early in development and I am of course making it fully responsive, but I am using my own custom grid.

Here is the question: Should I just use bootstrap from the get go? Bootstrap is monolithic, but it is really easy to work with and easy to integrate from the start.

Theme so far (off canvas sidebar on smaller screens not shown Smile )

[Image: bUw5Pmw.jpg]

input suggestions on the theme are welcome, but I am going for plain /minimalistic.
i vote for it.... i like the mobile first concept of bootstrap... it works on all modern browsers... hence the site looks good on all screen sizes and provides seamless experience... 
my own grid is fully responsive; its the one I used on leefish. But bootstrap grid is more powerful (and significantly larger). In fact a lot of the features of bootstrap I dont even use.
Personally i have tried to work with bootstrap but due the fact that 80% of it's components aren't really integratable (or even usable) in mybb (html markup for certain elements and common classes) i have written my own responsive framework / skeleton with following structure:

Quote:- css
-- master.css (contains common classes for element cells [trow1/2 class is moved in parent element], normalize.css and few other css hacks / tweaks related to specific browsers)
-- responsive.css

-jscripts
-- master.js (functions for dropdown elements, tabs, modals, UI settings. menus, thread sets)

-fonts
-- FontAwesome
-- Custom font set (related to social media and other icons that aren't found in FA, generated via IcoMoon app) 

- Responsive.xml (as it name suggests responsive theme with a custom grid layout)
Bootstrap is great if you're working on a project and want to prototype the UI quickly (Or if you aren't a designer). However as far as quality goes, a custom built solution will always trump something like Bootstrap for MyBB themes imo.

But bootstrap grid is more powerful (and significantly larger).

Exactly, bootstrap is just too bloated to be the final solution for most projects.

As far as prototyping I don't use Bootstrap either personally, I use this: http://semantic-ui.com/
(2015-01-19, 04:07 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]As far as prototyping I don't use Bootstrap either personally, I use this: http://semantic-ui.com/

Browser support for older browsers (especially older Android) is not that great though. It looks interesting, and is Open Source.
Nah support isn't great, but I also use Zepto.js. I just try to be aware of which browsers aren't supported and what isn't supported from them so that I can apply an appropriate fix. If one exists, depending on how big the issue is they might get a "Please upgrade your browser" message. xD
Looks nice. Hope it will come out soon. Good luck.
Oh btw the theme looks great. ^^
Looks Great buddy, i am currently redesigning my site with a custom build responsive elements. Bootstrap is great to build lading page based websites, and i have used it previously for a hotel project of our own.
Anyways keep up the great work.
regards
Pages: 1 2