MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A short comparison of MyBB and PhpBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a general comparison from my point of view as a user. I am just a novice about php and bb coding. So i needed a forum and everyone i consulted said PhpBB. Then i moved to PhpBB on my localhost and started my journey of forums. then i noticed some weird stuff just contrary to what all others boast about.

GRAPHICS :- PhpBB outruns MyBB in graphics for forums as there are not enough guys involved in MyBB template designing. Still i will point out 'TheCure', 'NeonGlow' as outstanding themes in MyBB.

PLUGINS :- It is just a rumor that PhpBB has more plugins bla bla ba Big Grin If you observe nicely, 60% of good plugins of PhpBB are outdated and have no use with 3.0.12, forget 3.1. But on the contrary i got almost every needed plugin working for 1.6 MyBB. So MyBB outruns PhpBB in plugins as per me. MyBB plugin are 10x easier to install even than PhpBB. Inferno shoutbox of MyBB is real swag over the mchat taboo of PhpBB

USER-FRIENDLY :- If you are new to forums, PhpBB will give you technical nightmares Toungue MyBB on the other hand, runs smoothly and easy to handle as a novice even. MyBB outruns PhpBB here as well.

PhpBB is good for just graphics, graphics and graphics.
I just wish if someone could develop some good MyBB themes as Pbwow.com did. Even if you make those themes premium; it will be great contribution Smile
I hope someone would find these things useful and decide wisely.
Here's something too: http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comp...-vs-phpbb3

Theres a little give and take but it seems that the two are equal in a lot of aspects.

I've used both and I prefer MyBB myself. It is easier to work with and more user friendly in my opinion.
exactly brother, as i said it earlier.
"MyBB lacks only in good graphical templates"

In other words, MyBB 1.8 outruns PhpBB 3.1 without any single doubt in terms of programming and plugins both. I hope template designers will pay better head to MyBB now in stead of PhpBB.
I use phpBB to power one of my websites (the whole kaboodle, not just the forum section) and find it really easy to work with, to customise, and to theme.

I've recently been asked to theme a mybb site for a friend, and holy cow things are so much more difficult. Theres no template conditionals built in which means a million and one bits of code all in their own template sections, which also don't seem to be able to be included in one another. The CSS is all over the place, and as with the templates don't have any structure which hugely complicates things.
Plugins and themes aren't self contained in the file system, again there are files all over the place.
I hate the way everything is stored in the database, the cache is a pain to fully clear, the post editor and member select are third party and so have their own pains - getting them to look right in a dark theme was a nightmare.

If I had my way their site would be running phpBB Sad
I'm really a hobbyist designer and developer. I can only write HTML and CSS. However, what I have been able to accomplish with MyBB and a few plugins is nothing short of astounding.

[Image: 1MuKeLQ.png]

[Image: WryLsoZ.png]

[Image: jLx1eua.png]

[Image: 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f65...442e706e67]

[Image: haralooks-index.png]

[Image: 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f38...522e706e67]

[Image: 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f4f...682e6a7067]

With MyBB, you can accomplish all of this without knowing PHP. That's incredible. I would love to see how far you could get in terms of building a real web platform around a community with other free forum software.

I don't think it's understood by most of the community just how powerful the ease of MyBB's extensibility is.
I will really like to point out that MyBB also has quality themes, if you look at iAndrew revolution gaming, eNvy square or MyIPB or mysjins theme or harajuju or most of my custom themes you will see that MyBB also has lots of potential.
If you see 2.0, the quality of default theme is superb. Only thing MyBB lags is the default theme not being responsive which is present in phpBB.
MyBB 2.0 is going to remove the default theme shortcoming for sure.
(2015-01-19, 07:18 PM)darkfusion Wrote: [ -> ]GRAPHICS :- PhpBB outruns MyBB in graphics for forums as there are not enough guys involved in MyBB template designing. Still i will point out 'TheCure', 'NeonGlow' as outstanding themes in MyBB.

Sorry for being negative but I've seen just 3 or 4 themes differents on phpBB... the rest is the same default theme with different colors.
PhpBB its the old forum sinze 2000.
The phpbb2 was amazing software in old times but in present time PhpBB 3 not liked, its a continúes hold security and and must continúe update the software... PhpBB 3.0 , PhpBB 3.1, PhpBB 3.2...
In time you must continue update the versión, the mods, and lost many time in update Phpbb and lost the enjoy the software with many updates

mybb 1.8.x For my its the best forum software, easy to admin, upgrade and performance.  The only Bad point of mybb1.8.x its not have a responsive theme movile development from the team. 
Cool

For the google seo, the best tool its out from the software, a performance of the site with google console search...
 just performance a sitemap with xml and do the steps to console search performance with your web and mybb