MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is Upgrading to myBB 1.8 that different from 1.6 ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know if I should upgrade to 1.8. I heard some bad comments about it. I have a forums that has 50,000 members and I decided to not upgrade to 1.8 yet. Does it have big security issues for the latest 1.6?

And if I upgrade, is it gonna mess up my forums? ( I always take a backup before doing anything )

What are your comments about 1.6 and 1.8?
The reason one might still want to stick with 1.6 is compatibility.

Basically every theme that has been designed for the 1.6.x series needs to be rewritten for 1.8.x as many templates got changed in order to introduce new features.
There is, however, a number of new themes available (http://community.mybb.com/mods.php?actio...ory=themes and external sites) that you can use or customize to fit your forum's needs.
The situation regarding the plugins is slightly better - the majority of small plugins that have been created for 1.6.x will probably work on 1.8.x as well (the best option is to obtain an official version though). Many well-known ones have been already updated to work on 1.8.x (the Extend section contains addons for 1.8.x).
Also, note that new themes and plugins are being created for 1.8.x, so the list is constantly growing.

The 1.6.x series is no longer being developed and will receive security patches only (if any are discovered).
I would not upgrade the board if I were you.
1.8 does introduce some nice things like registration question and something to get rid of spammers with one click. As was mentioned, 1.8 is being actively developed and its progress can be tracked on Github. It is better to upgrade now rather than waiting until later when you have more data to worry about. I can't speak for others, but any nonpaid plugin requests I do will only be for 1.8.
(2015-01-24, 06:54 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]1.8 does introduce some nice things like registration question and something to get rid of spammers with one click.  As was mentioned, 1.8 is being actively developed and its progress can be tracked on Github.  It is better to upgrade now rather than waiting until later when you have more data to worry about.  I can't speak for others, but any nonpaid plugin requests I do will only be for 1.8.

I'm not sure if I still want to upgrade... I am currently in the MyBB Version 1.6.16, does myBB still provide security updates, is there anything to worry about right now?

I really don't like the design of the new myBB and I'm scared it will eggplant orange up on my forums, I have almost about 50,000 members.
(2015-02-14, 05:42 PM)HeartSeeker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-24, 06:54 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]1.8 does introduce some nice things like registration question and something to get rid of spammers with one click.  As was mentioned, 1.8 is being actively developed and its progress can be tracked on Github.  It is better to upgrade now rather than waiting until later when you have more data to worry about.  I can't speak for others, but any nonpaid plugin requests I do will only be for 1.8.

I'm not sure if I still want to upgrade... I am currently in the MyBB Version 1.6.16, does myBB still provide security updates, is there anything to worry about right now?

I really don't like the design of the new myBB and I'm scared it will eggplant orange up on my forums, I have almost about 50,000 members.

Hey,
1.6.16 is fine for now (if you have secured it well) of course. However, upgrading to 1.8 might cause problems such as plugins not working, maybe even database errors and orange.

I would stick with 1.6.16 for now.
Give instructions to update to 1.6.16 to 1.6.10?

I need when upgrading from 1.6.10 to 1.6.16 update more consistently on 1.6.11-12-15? Or you can go directly from 1.6.10 to 1.6.16, and how true it is to do that would be to upgrade to the full account of the amendments to the previous versions?
^ you can directly upgrade to MyBB 1.6.16
Quote:1. turn forum off line. deactivate all the plugins one by one
2. download ~/inc/config.php file & ~/inc/settings.php file
3. take backup of the database
4. upload MyBB 1.6.16 files by overwriting earlier version files
5. upgrade your forum by visiting forumurl/install/upgrade.php
Quote:download ~/inc/config.php file & ~/inc/settings.php file 
after updating return them to the place?