MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 'Stable' branch in GitHub?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed we have the 'master' branch which is legacy, and the 'feature' branch which is bleeding edge, but nothing in between.

I think it would definitely be nice to offer a 'stable' branch, which offers basically the same files as is available from download (but with all the commit history and issue tracking of GitHub).

Setting it up would be easy, just find the 1.8.3 commit and branch from there; and maintaining it is as simple as merging the feature branch on releases (given that stable shouldn't change at all between releases Git should just fast-forward the stable branch without conflicts).

This would give people that want to develop their own systems off MyBB a place to work from while still keeping it easy to merge updates.
Or just use the tags? All releases should be tagged (recent ones seem not to have been, for some reason), allowing you to jump to the commit for a release, and review history form before that point. https://github.com/mybb/mybb/releases
master -> 1.6
feature -> 1.8

Feature should always be stable (that's why we use PR's). If you want the latest release just use the tags as euan said.

@euan: the recent ones weren't tagged because they were security releases and the branch was already modified at that time.
Feature doesn't always work. Case in point: right now the one I have checked out breaks on permissions (trying to 'upgrade' so I could actually use my test board was a god-awful pain in the lime).

So tags aren't reliable and feature doesn't match release to sometimes broken extents, and there are no plans to make a branch that does? :/