MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is you experience with MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to decide between Simple Machine 2 and MyBB if you have an idea which one is better please let me know.
please see search results
You are obviously going to get a biased result here. We prefer MyBB because we enjoy it. There are obviously downfalls to using it, as any other forum system, but that goes without saying.
(2015-01-28, 06:28 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]You are obviously going to get a biased result here. We prefer MyBB because we enjoy it. There are obviously downfalls to using it, as any other forum system, but that goes without saying.

I'll try to be impartial... 

MyBB (the 1.6 series) was great when I used it. It did everything I wanted it to do. SMF, in my case, did not. So I used MyBB until I'd developed the custom platform. 
I favor mybb myself. Great user friendly features.
I'm good at MyBB 1.6 and 1.8, but yeah. I'm pretty much experienced with templates and other stuff.
SMF is easier to use. Downside, some of the plugins are not updated consistently. Of course that was 2 years ago when I looked at it. Could be different now.

The best way to know the differences and what you like is to install both and see what it's like working in the backend.
I had used SMF once before but didn't like it. Admin Permissions could not be restricted in SMF at the time ( not sure if they can now.)
I have been using MyBB for more than 2 years, everything is not inbuilt with MyBB core, however you can find nice plugin to add what ever features needed. I recommend MyBB.
I've used MyBB since 2011. Granted, I don't run a forum with it right now myself. I do however still stay very connected to the community and development, and help other people with their forums whenever possible.

Back when I tried SMF (this was probably 2013), it just felt clunky to me. I've used phpBB, vBulletin, IPB, MyBB, and xenForo, and out of all, SMF was my least preferred out of those. Why? The plugin installer in the admin panel never worked for me and actually screwed up lots of templates for me, and it didn't feel very feature rich.

Granted - this is after I became relatively dedicated to MyBB, and used to how MyBB functions, but this is my 2 cents.