MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Good Practices while managing a forum or site?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are some good practices to do when managing a forum, or a website?
(2015-01-30, 09:10 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]see Administrating MyBB - good practices

I have seen that thread. Good points, but I was hoping to see something different.
When I rate a forum, there are several key problems I come across. By listing these problems, it should help you know what you want to avoid.

- Too many staff.
Especially when it is small to medium size forums this is a big problem. The percentage of moderators is often greater than 10% of the member base. There is no magic formula and should be based on how many members there are and how many new posts / threads are posted on a daily basis.

-Professionalism.
You absolutely should not be having staff disagree about forum policies in public. Staff should appear united to members.

-Too many empty forums.
This is caused by trying to have everything be super organized, but usually backfires because people like see large amounts of posts and threads. When they see too many forums they could be confused where to post or afraid no one will answer based on low activity. You should start small with general forums and then gradually expand as the amount of topics about a certain thing increases.

-Having an excessive amount of sticky threads and announcements.
It is overwhelming when you look at a forum and see a ton of stickies. It can make members uncomfortable and be afraid to post. Realistically you should only stick rules threads. Good threads are ones with high discussion potential and will always be active.

- Forceful account upgrading.
This can be described as taking away many common features such as being able to have a signature and usertitle until you upgrade by paying a fee.

-Having excessive ads
Yes webmasters want to earn money from ads, but you have to be reasonable with how many you use.

-Having very long rule lists.
People do not have long attention spans. The easiest thing to do is list the most important rules and then add a catch-all type of rule. If you have more than 10 rules, the reader will not read the entire post.
Thanks for sharing your ideas @dragonexpert. I'm ne on this website, Rey Ortega from Orlando, Florida. I hope to learn and enhance myself here and gain insights on web application, web development and mobile application. Hope to get along with you guys .. thanks!
Consistency is the biggest thing. Treat all members the same, friends or not. Enforce the same rules the same way every time.
Always improve.

Never stop editing, adding content and participating.
Yeah off course the most convenient way is to record the most important guidelines and then add a catch-all kind of concepts. If you have more than 10 guidelines, people will not study the whole publish.