MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Options to make forum fully responsive and mobile optimized?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I've spent a good amount of time searching for an answer for this, but I hardly got any answers. Essentially, what and/or who do you recommend to make MyBB 1.6/1.8 fully responsive and mobile optimized?

I've only seen one free fully responsive theme but it's not fully finished I believe.

Likewise, I don't seem to find any reliable paid fully responsive themes. I've looked at Audentio and hopefully they can let me know if their themes are fully responsive and mobile optimized.

We currently are on 1.6.14 still as we wanted to wait until 1.8 was stable. We are using the default theme, and frankly, we're happy with it. However, we want to make it mobile optimized.

Who do you recommend to talk to in terms of making a MyBB forum fully responsive? Are there any professional services that any of you old-timers recommend? Or any professional members who offer services or at least a quick look with simple suggestions?

Also, can we make the default theme on 1.6/1.8 fully responsive by hiring a coder?

I would appreciate any input in terms of where to go from here. All we want is to offer a better experience for our mobile forum members. Whether it is by purchasing a fully-responsive theme or by modding the default theme (no Tapatalk, we actually want the theme itself to be fully responsive).

Please let me know if I can let a moderator know of our forum to check that we link to you guys (we've done so ever since we built the forum).

Thank you all.
I have made 3 fully responsive themes for MyBB so far. Its a biggish task and its actually difficult to keep the MyBB look (as that is all tables) and make it work on all mobile devices.

If you only have the one theme on your forum then I would suggest using MyBB gomobile updated to 1.8 and a custom mobile theme in that. JohnnyS has a great mobile theme at 30 dollars - but its ONLY for mobile and only for 1.8.

Otherwise you are looking at a responsive theme, made to your specs. You can certainly contact me about that Smile

two sites I have done the responsive theme for

www.shavenook.com
http://artofwargaming.net/

Lee
(2015-01-31, 05:35 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I have made 3 fully responsive themes for MyBB so far.  Its a biggish task and its actually difficult to keep the  MyBB look (as that is all tables) and make it work on all mobile devices.

If you only have the one theme on your forum then I would suggest using MyBB gomobile updated to 1.8 and a custom mobile theme in that. JohnnyS has a great mobile theme at 30 dollars - but its ONLY for mobile and only for 1.8.

Otherwise you are looking at a responsive theme, made to your specs. You can certainly contact me about that Smile

two sites I have done the responsive theme for

www.shavenook.com
http://artofwargaming.net/

Lee

Hey Leefish, awesome that you replied. I actually sent you an email yesterday through your site, right before asking this thread here.

Your work was one of the few that came up on my searches, so I sent you a detailed email through your portfolio site. Considering your location, it was at about 9 at night or around that time. I hope you can get back to me as I think you're the person we're looking for.

In any case, anyone else who has any more thoughts on mobile themes/fully responsive for either 1.6 or 1.8 would be much appreciated!
^ of course, Lee is the right person for you Smile
(2015-01-31, 10:42 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ of course, Lee is the right person for you Smile

Thanks, all my research led to Leefish/Audentio and a couple more.

As MyBB staff, do you have any list of professional services or professional members (or even MyBB staff) who offer MyBB consultation/modding services?

Or at least some recommendations of reputable people who would be willing work or to take a deep look for a fee?

We can handle just about everything and I like that MyBB is fairly simple, but when it comes to modding, it's always a good thing to have someone whom us MyBB webmasters can turn to. I ask because I've seen lots of paid professionals that mod vBulletin but hardly any paid professionals who mod MyBB (or at least that I found searching online).

I've learned a lot reading this forum and all modding we've done is thanks to the replies in this forum, so I can't thank you guys enough. However, there is some advance stuff where a professional or someone who knows the script in and out is required.
Hey there Smile I replied to your mail and am in the MyBB IRC chat now.

http://www.mybb.com/get-involved/irc-channel/
Quote:We can handle just about everything and I like that MyBB is fairly simple, but when it comes to modding, it's always a good thing to have someone whom us MyBB webmasters can turn to. I ask because I've seen lots of paid professionals that mod vBulletin but hardly any paid professionals who mod MyBB (or at least that I found searching online).

I do custom plugins for a price. As long as the project is something I'm able to do. Custom projects are done on a first come, first serve basis.
I am going to give a "vouch" for Dragonexpert here; I have seen his custom plugins in action and his work is very good.
Thanks for the replies and PMs. I'm right now with Leefish and we have decided to go with GoMobile for now, then after a month or so, use one of her themes that fits our forum's vision and purpose.

Leefish is a true pro and I'm so happy to have gotten to talk to her. We have decided to buy one of her themes that is optimized for 1.8.3 and that is fully responsive.

We are finishing installing GoMobile. I'll let you all know if it went fine. I would rather not disclose our forum in public, but it's not a heavily modded forum (although Leefish as staff member can confirm that we do link to MyBB). Our forum is using the default theme, although we will change to Leefish's theme in about a month, or even earlier.

Thank you all again for the replies here and for reaching out via PM. Unfortunately, Google is downgrading websites that are not mobile optimized, and we simply cannot risk being downgraded. We also want to provide a clean and easy user experience for our mobile forum members and lurkers, so it was a no brainer: we needed to make the forum mobile optimized. Leefish has certainly been the right person to reach out for this!

P.S. We may be using MyBB for other future forum projects, so I will keep your other recommendations/replies in this thread for custom fully-responsive themes. I hope this thread helps other MyBB webmasters with getting their sites mobile optimized.

Hey guys, we finished!

Our site now scores 100/100 with the Google mobile test. This is just great! And it's thanks to Leefish!

Last night I was worried about the future of our forum since I didn't know how to make it mobile friendly and I could not read much literature on 1.6.x being made mobile friendly. Yet today Leefish has helped us to upgrade to the latest version of 1.6 (1.6.16), install GoMobile and make the special edits to make it flawless as well as keep any edits/plugins working.

I've tested the GoMobile version with my mobile phone, with Google mobile test and even tablets, and it's great! Leefish also did some extra editing of her own as GoMobile was only scoring 95/100 (which is a pretty good result), but she wasn't happy with it and made any edits to have the site on 100/100. What this means is that not only does Google now love our forum for mobile use but all our forum members and lurkers on a mobile or tablet will love the experience too.

I'm very happy to have gotten to know Leefish and her working with us. She is very attentive, smart, an expert in MyBB designing and I knew I could trust her with our site, even upgrading several versions of 1.6.x. She is also polite and is a great communicator. She was exactly the person we needed for this.

It's thanks to people like Leefish, Johnny of GoMobile and the staff here at MyBB that MyBB continues to be an excellent forum script. We will be upgrading to 1.8.3 in about 3 or 4 weeks and use one of Leefish's themes. I also talked with Leefish about MyBB 2.0 and she mentioned how it's going to be a complete re-hash of the current 1.8, so to expect big changes.

Many thanks to all from a happy MyBB webmaster Smile