MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help/insight on migrating my 1.6.15 forum to 1.8.x
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

So I am still on 1.6.15

I want to know my best route of migration. I have customized my templates a lot.. so I can't just migrate straight forward.

I want to keep the site up and I don't want to have down time, so is there a way for me to keep the site on 1.6.15 and install a second forum linking to the same database just so I can see everything as is while I am designing the new 1.8 site?

Please advise.

For example i keep the main site /Forum/ and work on /Forum2/ then when I am done get rid of /Forum/ and rename /Forum2/ to /Forum/
I suggest that you make a back up of your forum and then rebuild the theme on your local host using Xampp or something similar. Your forum can continue to run using the "real" database and you can test the theme on the 1.8 codebase offline on your pc.
Hey Leefish, so there is no problem in me installing the Forum in /Forum2/ and making the config point to the original database?

What I basically want to achieve is be able to see the threads/posts/users as they are right now but within 1.8 without doing an upgrade to 1.6.15, but instead having it seperate. Then when I am done switching over Forum2 to the main one.

Do I make sense? Is this feasible. Because all I keep seeing is the upgrade install the upgrade... and yes I understand I could download the database and do an upgrade offline, then work on that offline.. but then... does that not change the database somehow? Then when I want to use the latest posts on the online database how would that work out?

Am I making sense?

Backing up /Forum/ and the database is easy.. that's not a big deal already got a backup... but...
There is database changes in 1.8x, so you won't be able to use a 1.6 database with a 1.8 forum.
So how can I pull this off, designing the template I mean and then upgrading/migrating while retaining my designs/changes.
you can use offline server (eg. XAMPP in your computer), install backup of your forum, upgrade to MyBB 1.8.3 and update the theme

upgrading guidance Wrote:Visit your Admin Control Panel, then go to Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates. This will show you a list of all the templates that have changed during the upgrade.

You can either revert these templates to their default - meaning all the changes you've made to it will be removed - or you can see a Diff Report which will show you exactly what's changed. If you have a custom theme installed, it is probably best that you look at the Diff Report and apply the changes you need.

you may also try this guidance => basic theme updating (1.6 - 1.8)
Ah, okay interesting. Yeah I want to be sure about the theme updating. That's what it comes down to for me.

So technically I don't REALLY have to run it offline.

However how does one go about integrating all posts then. You still didn't quite get what I was getting at. I guess it's just not feasible properly then. Too many database changes then internally with the upgrade?

Running the same database but different forum install different config. Live.

Because if you upgrade the forum and the database and make those changes offline well.. then the database is changed offline, you don't really tie in to the original forum and original database. Then when I want to actually make the changes... the template/themeing is saved in that database.

Basically... if I installed a 1.8 forum from scratch.. how hard would it be to migrate all users/threads/posts/relavent data to that 1.8 forum. Rather than doing an upgrade, if you see what I'm getting at as well as an alternative scenario.

The customizations I did with my theme were pretty extensive as well, so hmm.

I guess... I'll just install xamp and test out a few scenarios...