MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: COPPA Concern
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please let me know if this is the incorrect place for this.

I have a concern that one of your forums is allowing young children, some even under 13 years old, to use the the place as a social community. Very few, if not all of the under aged children, are not being required to get parents permission.

In addition, the admins give all under aged children (under 16) a title that is very easily found on the members list. This is very concerning, as several give personal information about their life, family, where they live, and contact info (email, aim, etc) on their profiles. This forum has had issues in the past with older individuals preying on the younger members, and still no change for good has been made.

I have brought this concern up with the admins/owner and they seem to want to skirt around the law in light of trying to get more popular. They have made their site "private" but still allow admin permission only for underaged members (and not parents.)

If someone could either point me in the right direction to move this concern along the totem pole, or private message me that would be great.

Thank you,

rendering
(2015-02-05, 01:30 AM)rendering Wrote: [ -> ]Please let me know if this is the incorrect place for this.

Based on the next quote, I'm afraid it is.

(2015-02-05, 01:30 AM)rendering Wrote: [ -> ]I have a concern that one of your forums (...)

Whose forums? You do realize that this is just a free forum software that might be used by everyone and we have no control over people who decided to download it, whatsoever?

(2015-02-05, 01:30 AM)rendering Wrote: [ -> ]If someone could either point me in the right direction

If you're confident that admins of that site break the law, feel free to bring that to your law enforcement agency's attention. That's all you can do in this case.