MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: no login after merge & odd character for hard-return
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

Looks like i'm the next one to have problems with the merge:

Source: IPB 3.4.1 - MySQL - Apache - Hostpapa
Target: MyBB 1.8.3 - MySQL - NGINX - Ubuntu self hosted

Problems:
1 - Customers cannot login after merge (error: wrong lo/pw)
2 - Places that used to be a 'hard return' show a 'Â' character after the merge

The new forum is also on a new physical machine, i do not know if this makes a difference ?

Troubleshooting attempted for the login problem:
1 - Export old DB from phpmyadmin, imported on the new server, and did the merge locally
2 - Execute the merge on the new machine, while pulling the data directly from the Source DB.

Both cases the same result, no login possible.

Troubleshooting attempted for the 'Â' problem:
- Execute the merge with or without utf conversion, without any difference (both DB's are UTF-8 already)

I am willing to share the DB and links to source & Target via PM only.

KR
Willem
for the login try using latest loginconvert plugin
and for the issue with codes in messages see this reply
Thanks for the quick reply. I will try another merge tonight, as i just saw that the source DB is actually 'latin1_swedish_ci' encoded. This is most likely the problem that causes the character to show-up.

This might or might not have messed-up the password migration too ? In any case will grab a copy of the latest loginconvert that you just linked.

Thanks again, i will revert back with the results for future reverence purposes Smile
After another 2 or 3 new merges:

1 - NOT SOLVED: Users can still NOT login, even when using the latest loginconvert.php from git :(
2 - SOLVED: Strange character issue by using the correct utf8 conversion settings. :)

Troubleshooting tried:
- Using 755 chmod on the login convert
- Disable & reactivate plugin in adminCP
- Tried different user accounts to test
- No other plugins are active, or installed
- Made sure the test-users are active and in an active group

Questions:
- Does it make any difference that I used to run Apache on the old server, and NGINX on the new host ?
- What else can i do to make this work, i can hardly ask 2000 users to reset their password... :S

KR
kamaradski
^ if emails from board are working fine then it is not a big problem for the users to reset their passwords.
if you are not comfortable with that then the issue needs to be checked by someone having expertise
please wait for response by Merge system developers
Can you look whether the passwordconvert and passwordconvertsalt columns in your users table are filled. You can also try to add after
function check_ipb($password, $user)
{
the following line:
$password = utf8_decode($password);

It may be caused by the wrong encoding (I've seen the issue only with smf before so not sure whether it'll solve your issue).
Thanks for the quick reply Jones.

The following tables are empty in the target db:
xxx_users.password
xxx_users.salt
xxx_users.loginkey

For some reason these are not being migrated from the source db.
That's ok, those are the mybb values. They should be filled after the specific user logged in for the first time and mybb was able to hash his password in it's own method. The old password is saved in the passwordconvert... fields.
ok that's confirmed as being true and populated. Salt & old PW are there for most users in the last columns of the table.

Added the utf8 decode to the script, but still no login possible. Always gives me the 'wrong username or password' until i reach the 15min lockout or captiva test.

What else could we do? is there any log or debug output i can look for, or some other manual test that might give me a clue as to why it not working ?
Hmm, can you send me one example of hash/salt and original password via pm? I'm not aware of any problems except the utf8 thing.
Pages: 1 2