MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMTP and gmail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So for the last few hours I'm trying to get the mail working with smtp ower gmail, but no luck.

I did search on the net but nothing helped, so I hope You can help me.

The settings I use atm:

Mail handler: SMTP mail
SMTP hostname: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port: 465
SMTP username: [email protected]
SMTP password: *****
SMTP Encryption Mode: no encryption
Add message ID in mail headers: No

I tried port 587 too.

Dunno if I put the wrong settings or it's just my server that's making problems, I did see some SPF setting in the Cpanel under Email Authentication, but better not touch what I don't know.

EDIT:
This is the error message I get:

The SMTP server rejected the supplied SMTP password. Reason: 535 Incorrect authentication data
try changing the SMTP hostname as "tls://smtp.gmail.com" and check if it works...
Yep, did try that too, tryed again to make sure,
but still get the same error :/

EDIT:

Tried this with port 587, and get this error :
"Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details. Reason: 0:"
(2015-02-10, 06:33 AM)mmadhankumar Wrote: [ -> ]try changing the SMTP hostname as "tls://smtp.gmail.com" and check if it works...
That can't work.

Please try port 587 with TLS encryption or port 465 with SSL encryption.
(2015-02-10, 01:10 AM)Wiruk Wrote: [ -> ]The SMTP server rejected the supplied SMTP password. Reason: 535 Incorrect authentication data
It appears either the username or password was wrong.
Well, you seem to use incorrect credentials.
Tried both options, no luck, still the same "535 Incorrect authentication data".

Even wrote the username and password in notepad copy pasted to gmail to make sure it's correct.

Is it possible that it's some server issue or is there anything special I need to do on the gmail account to use it as smtp?
Do you by any chance use 2 factor autentication for your gmail account? If yes, check: http://webapps.stackexchange.com/questio...entication
Not really sure what the "2 factor autentication" is, I'm using the default settings from mybb 1.8.
(2015-02-10, 05:43 PM)Wiruk Wrote: [ -> ]Not really sure what the "2 factor autentication" is, I'm using the default settings from mybb 1.8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_factor_authentication, but I'm guessing you're not using it if you don't know what it is..
Was on this wiki a few minutes ago, and I have no idea about it.

I set up an SMTP with a mail account created on my server and it's working fine, goes to junk tho.
So at this point I'm not sure if I'm crazy and failed the gmail login data 50 time that I tryed, or it's just some weird bug :/

Edit: I'll try redoing evrything and see if it works
Eedit2: no luck Sad, I'll use the server mail for now.
Pages: 1 2 3