MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mark 1.6 plugins that work with 1.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Why are 1.6 plugins not marked as compatible with 1.8?

Plugins that are compatible with MyBB 1.8 should be marked as such on 1.6 Modifications & Plugins.

EDIT: This thread is answered.
we can't test each and every plugin of earlier version(s) for the compatibility with the new version(s). it is not possible to
devote time for such certification. specific plugins may be checked if requested through forum & if staff / helpers have the time
(2015-02-11, 02:08 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]we can't test each and every plugin of earlier version(s) for the compatibility with the new version(s). it is not possible to
devote time for such certification.

I understand the difficulties imposed by a lack of manpower. But is it that difficult to test if a plugin that worked in 1.6 will work in 1.8?

I suspect some 1.6 plugins will work without any modification in 1.8. If they can then it was a mistake to not allow some way to mark them as such at 1.6 Modifications & Plugins. As it is now people visiting that site are left to assume that none of those plugins will work in 1.8

Quote:specific plugins may be checked if requested through forum & if staff / helpers have the time

That would help. Where could I post such a request? Or is there someone I could ask to do this? Thanks
Why don't you just try them and see? Then you could always post a thread with a list of plugins for 1.6 that work with 1.8. Sounds like you've volunteered yourself here Wink
(2015-02-11, 02:29 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you just try them and see? Then you could always post a thread with a list of plugins for 1.6 that work with 1.8. Sounds like you've volunteered yourself here Wink

I have not yet decided to upgrade. I may not upgrade.

Even if I did upgrade my forum and test 1.6 plugins in 1.8 I still could not mark them as compatible at 1.6 Modifications & Plugins and people visiting that site would still assume that those plugins will not work in 1.8. That site would be a far better place to identify which 1.6 plugins work in 1.8
time is the main culprit here... all team members are only volunteers who are willing to devote their time to support/develop or in other activities... whenever someone asks questions about a particular plugin, we do help them... but testing all 1.6 plugins is a hectic task...

we would really appreciate if people can help us... you need not upgrade your forums and I don't recommend testing things on a live board either.... you can install mybb 1.8 on localhost and test those plugins and post a thread as suggested by Euan which would help a lot of fellow members... when someone asks about this, we can just link the thread...
(2015-02-11, 03:03 PM)mmadhankumar Wrote: [ -> ]time is the main culprit here... all team members are only volunteers who are willing to devote their time to support/develop or in other activities...

I acknowledged that.

Quote:whenever someone asks questions about a particular plugin, we do help them...

I'm hoping I'll get an answer.

Quote:but testing all 1.6 plugins is a hectic task...

I doubt I am qualified to test plugins and if you find it hectic it will likely be much harder for me.

Quote:we would really appreciate if people can help us... you need not upgrade your forums and I don't recommend testing things on a live board either.... you can install mybb 1.8 on localhost and test those plugins

The plugin/question I linked to above could only be definitevly tested on a live forum.

Quote:and post a thread as suggested by Euan which would help a lot of fellow members... when someone asks about this, we can just link the thread...

IMO it was short sighted to make 1.6 Modifications & Plugins read only. Also AFAIK this site is not linked to that site. And although the search page lists all version as a parameter it does not find 1.6 plugins. Put this altogether and the impression I get is that end users will not easily get information about 1.6 plugins.
^ you might be already knowing this
MyBB 1.6.x version's admin panel provides links to recommended plugins and also link of the modifications site
admin panel >> configuration >> plugins >> Browse Plugins (tab)

Edit: MyBB 1.6 version plugins can be searched here => http://mods.mybb.com/search
(2015-02-11, 03:35 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt I am qualified to test plugins and if you find it hectic it will likely be much harder for me.

Everyone is qualified, you just need to devote some of your time instead of counting on other people to do this tedious, time taking (but not hard) task.

(2015-02-11, 03:35 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]The plugin/question I linked to above could only be definitevly tested on a live forum.

Everything can be tested on a localhost or online free hosting testing forum. I have no idea why you feel the necessity to use your live forum, but it's totally wrong..

(2015-02-11, 03:35 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]IMO it was short sighted to make 1.6 Modifications & Plugins read only.

Then please show us a person from the team who would work on checking 1.6 plugins. Considering we hardly manage to check new 1.8 plugins on time currently..

(2015-02-11, 03:35 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]Put this altogether and the impression I get is that end users will not easily get information about 1.6 plugins.

People who are using 1.6 most likely know where to download 1.6 mods. We won't link 1.6 mods with 1.8 version because we can't guarantee they will work. We don't want to hear complaints like "Why this 1.6 plugin broke my forum?".
(2015-02-11, 04:10 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ you might be already knowing this
MyBB 1.6.x version's admin panel provides links to recommended plugins and also link of the modifications site
admin panel > configuration > plugins > Browse Plugins (tab)

That doesn't tell me if those plugins will work in 1.8

Quote:Edit: MyBB 1.6 version plugins can be searched here =>  http://mods.mybb.com/search

Again that doesn't tell me if those plugins will work in 1.8

As an aside, what does this mean: ^
Pages: 1 2