MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can someone confirm my upgrade plan?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know there are guides and howtos, etc... but because of the custom theme that we spent 18 months developing and tweaking I'd like to plan my move from 1.6.16 to 1.8.4 (or whatever it is when I pull the trigger) a bit differently.

If I just make a copy of my 1.6.x database and do a fresh install of it but point it at the 1.6.x db copy, will this properly upgrade my existing version to a vanilla themed 1.8.x?

If so, could I then simply work out the custom theme issues (via export/import) and once I'm satisfied all is good export the updated theme and repeat the db copy -> fresh setup -> import newly created theme?

I would rather do it this way so I now that I'm not carrying any unneeded "garbage" over from the old site and I don't want to take the old site down until I've confirmed that the move is as successful as possible.

Thanks for insights!

-gmO
Set up Xampp on your localhost.

https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

Install mybb 1.8.4 on localhost and fix your theme, import your plugins, Once that is ready, make a copy of your database and attachments, upgrade your forum, import the theme from your localhost; if you want you can even clear your plugin directory and reupload from the localhost install.

Bulletproof way to do it.
Thanks for the reply. I'm goofing with xampp now and it's pretty freaking cool from a developer standpoint. Are you suggesting using the myBB plugin or grabbing the package from here and doing a "standard" fresh install?

-gmO
I installed 1.8.4 at a free host.

After some issues upgrading my forum today from 1.6.9 I exported the theme I had modified at free host, imported it to my forum and that cured the problem.

Here's my thread: Free host for testing MyBB 1.8
Do a standard fresh install on xampp. Then get all the plugins that matter to you and check they are upgraded to 1.8.4.

Install the plugins and work on the theme. All template editsrequired by the templates should therefore be in place.

When you do your upgrade of your live board all the plugins are switched off for the upgrade. Once you have upgraded, check which plugins you want to keep and upload the new versions from your localhost/mods site.

Switch all the plugins on at your theme. THEN import the new theme. Done.