MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Site integration, blog, WordPress, static pages, etc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am fairly knowledgeable about web design (HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, MySQL, etc.) but I am new to MyBB and am seeking some advice/opinions from some MyBB vets about site integration.

So far, I have setup a MyBB forum, built a custom theme, and everything looks awesome and works great. Outside of the forum, I'd like to serve up some static pages and maybe even a blog. Ideally, I'd also like the site to have the ability to add/remove/edit static pages easily with little web dev knowledge. Ideally again, I'd also like blog posts and associated comments integrated with the forum (single sign-on, etc.).

So far, I am in the process of setting up WordPress alongside MyBB to handle the static pages and blog/comments, but this means I have to build a custom WP theme, the blog/comments won't be tightly integrated and there'd be two sign-ins, one for WP and one for MyBB (even with a bridge).

I am thinking there must be a better way.

I am thinking about managing the static pages via forum posts, and it will also pull forum posts and comments for the blog. Everything pulled will also use BBcode for formatting, making it easy for non-web devs to manage the static pages and blog.

One question I have about the static pages is related to the navigation menu bar. Like if I am pulling forum posts for the content of static pages, what's the best way to populate a navigation menu bar and specify things like order (XThreads anyone)?

I don't need any help with the actual coding of all this, but I'd like to get some input from some MyBB vets about this general idea. Has anyone done something like this and have suggestions?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
though you can experiment with wordpress integration I do not recommend it for better maintenance & security of MyBB forum.
instead you can try using available blog plugins (eg. MyBBlog) / static pages built with MyBB system (eg. OUGC pages)
or if required, you may hire an expert coder for a custom blog system
Quote:One question I have about the static pages is related to the navigation menu bar. Like if I am pulling forum posts for the content of static pages, what's the best way to populate a navigation menu bar and specify things like order (XThreads anyone)?

I pull content threads from forums to build my home page, however at the moment the best thing to achieve a menu navigation bar is to build it manually. That for static page using a page managment plugin, for threads I have no such a thing.
(2015-03-02, 07:23 PM)OmarĀ G. Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:One question I have about the static pages is related to the navigation menu bar. Like if I am pulling forum posts for the content of static pages, what's the best way to populate a navigation menu bar and specify things like order (XThreads anyone)?

I pull content threads from forums to build my home page, however at the moment the best thing to achieve a menu navigation bar is to build it manually. That for static page using a page managment plugin, for threads I have no such a thing.

Yes I was thinking of making a new forum, then each thread in that forum will be a section. Then, for the navigation menu bar, I'd just pull the titles of all the threads and then use XThreads for the order and sub-order.
I use my OUGC Show In Portal to select which threads to show in my portal.

If I understand correctly, you want to create an index page.

> Category (category forum)
>> Sub-category (sub-forum)
---- Page (thread)
---- Page (thread)
---- Page (thread)
>>> Sub-category (sub-forum)
---- Page (thread)
---- Page (thread)

If that is it, and it was my case, I would rather build an forum bit (index alike) + thread listing (thread list alike) to fetch all my categories (forums) and their respective pages (threads) to be shown in they.

It will be something like this:
[attachment=33894]

But the screenshot is taken from another of my plugin so it don't fully shows all forums one below the another.
The order will be handled by the forum display order for categories and thread creation/edit date for threads. Everything I would do is simple to code the index_links.php script to build the list for me.

It could be just not a separate page but an portal box or whatever.

But that is if I understand correctly what you are asking and if it was me.
(2015-03-02, 05:29 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]though you can experiment with wordpress integration I do not recommend it for better maintenance & security of MyBB forum.

May I ask how a WP integration by a proper plugin would be bad for maintenance & security? Wink
(2015-03-03, 05:51 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I use my OUGC Show In Portal to select which threads to show in my portal.

If I understand correctly, you want to create an index page.

---- Page (thread)
---- Page (thread)
---- Page (thread)
>>> Sub-category (sub-forum)
---- Page (thread)
---- Page (thread)

If that is it, and it was my case, I would rather build an forum bit (index alike) + thread listing (thread list alike) to fetch all my categories (forums) and their respective pages (threads) to be shown in they.

It will be something like this:

But the screenshot is taken from another of my plugin so it don't fully shows all forums one below the another.
(2015-03-03, 05:54 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]The order will be handled by the forum display order for categories and thread creation/edit date for threads. Everything I would do is simple to code the index_links.php script to build the list for me.

It could be just not a separate page but an portal box or whatever.

But that is if I understand correctly what you are asking and if it was me.

Thanks for the input. If I wanted to allow another user to manage the navigation links, I'd have to give them access to the backend so that they can add/remove forums. I think though it's much simpler just to use XThreads for the order and sub-order.
You can modify existing plugins to fit on your needs:
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=870

With small edits you can make use of that one to allow users to select which categories (forums) to ignore from the indexing list. Though to allow they to custom sort them (categories/pages) would require major coding, yes.

xThreads could work on a thread basis yes but I would rather sort them by subject, creation date, or any field that is already there just to make use of.
I think another option would be to parse the title thread title at the time of page creation. For example, I can make the thread titles:
1|catagory 1|optional link
1-1|sub category 1 title|optional link
etc.

Then I wouldn't need XThreads.
Pages: 1 2