MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Bad / buggy Find user search functionality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I note that in AdminCP/Users, when attempting to search for the account of a user who's email is bouncing, when I paste the offending email address into the default search field, this always fails (finds nothing), forcing me to repeat the search with the detailed search option that pops up.

A search by email address should succeed by default, without resorting to the detailed search, given that username and email address are generally synonymous when logging in. 

Email address is generally the only user information visible on email bounce backs, and given that administering user accounts (and specifically email issues) is the largest day to day task for administrators, AdminCP should be tuned to minimize the number of mouse clicks required to deal with this.

Further, once using the detailed search function, the result is always initially again an error, because the number of search results to display per page field way down at the bottom is always set by default to "0".  I can think of very few reasons to make "0" an option for this field, let alone make it the default value!
I don't know what's the problem with one additional click and how it makes the whole functionality bad.. But if you feel searching by Email is necessary there, 1.8 suggestions forum is a more proper place to post.

(2015-03-08, 10:08 AM)ArchPrime Wrote: [ -> ]Further, once using the detailed search function, the result is always initially again an error, because the number of search results to display per page field way down at the bottom is always set by default to "0".  I can think of very few reasons to make "0" an option for this field, let alone make it the default value!

This is a bug which will be fixed: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/1832
Hi I dont thinks it makes the whole functionality bad, just that part of it. Current behavior is just a bit counter intuitive in my opinion. Semantics as to whether design flaws equate to bugs - either way user experience is the same