MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: "Weekly Backup"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My host automatically backups my site and databases so I'm wondering if there's any point to enable the task "weekly backup" as my host already does the above?

How do you backup your forum? 

Thanks!  Big Grin
You should always take your own backups even if your host does too. You can either backup manually using phpMyAdmin, or if your host allows cron jobs, schedule a cron using mysqldump.
What do you mean by "take your own backups" have another copy locally?
Yes.
If you have any trouble with your hoster, having your own copies is essential. Never trust anyone, be paranoïac with your datas, save them yourself.

I'm used to have a weekly backup on my servers, and to copy it localy and on another server. And each time I upgrade my forums, I do a backup and save it in two places.
I perform a regular database backup to the backup directory.
I also perform a database backup to my local machine.
I then do a flat file backup acoss to my local machine - either on a weeekly basis or before a upgrade, new plugin installation etc.

Agree that never to rely on your hosting provider - even if it did bomb out etc. how quickly would they restore, you would need to read their small print carefully etc.

As Crazycat has inferred, save them yourself.
I second everything said above.

Here’s how I backup forum files and database:

For database backup: cPanel > phpMyAdmin: Export tab (select SQL as file type). Download file to hard drive.

For forum backup: cPanel > File Manager: In forum directory, in right pane, select all files and directories, select compress as zip (add date to zip file name), select new zip file and download to hard drive.
Hmmm.... The hosting plan I'm using doesn't use cPanel though I'm able to create a cron job.

I have a Synology NAS at home so I'm thinking I could create a cron job to automatically backup my sites files along with mysql databases though I've never set up a cron job before.

Anyone have any experience?
I use rsynch (with a key authentification) to automatically sychronize my forum to my personnal backup server, and then I create a date-named archive (.tgz).

But it needs rsynch (don't know if synology can) and that your hoster allows you to connect with a key.
It seems easier to just manually back them up though i'd probably forget.

I'll open up a ticket with my host and ask.

Thanks!

(2015-03-13, 02:05 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]I use rsynch (with a key authentification) to automatically sychronize my forum to my personnal backup server, and then I create a date-named archive (.tgz).

But it needs rsynch (don't know if synology can) and that your hoster allows you to connect with a key.

My host has suggested to use your method, I have no idea how to set up a cron job.

My NAS is capable of "rysnc" so should be all good. Networking/web hosting can seem really complicated sometimes...

Thanks!