MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Making a new skin/theme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm working on a new Dark theme for MyBulletinBoard and was wondering if I"m on the right track. Also, I wanted to know if anyone would like to have it when I'm done. This is the first theme I've made for this forum and I would really appreciate some input ...thanks

Here's the link:
http://wormholex.t35.com/mybb/ ( my test site)
That green text in the stats area is vial (I notice a pun :p).
Also all the tables are different widths... which gives it that messed up look. Other than that, yes you are on the right way to making your first skin.
Thanks for the reply! I don't intend to keep the green text lol...it was just something I did spur of the moment so that it would show up against the dark background I've changed it now. Unlike phpbb, IPB, vbulletin and SMF/yabbSE which I have made skins for...this one is tricky at times but so simple too. And my tables look fine from this end but I haven't tested in all browsers and resolutions yet. I use Mozilla and rarely open up IE unless I feel jiggy and want some spyware HAHA

Thanks again Dale
Make your table bigger as the login box is breaking away from the rest. If you want to know what I mean, just log out and scroll below.
I like how your theme is starting to look. You might like to know that the theming system will be changed quite a bit in the next version of MyBB. Wink

If you'd like people to use your theme when it's done you can zip it up and post it here, or you can also list it on a site such as MyBB Mods or MyBB Planet. Smile
Cory Wrote:Make your table bigger as the login box is breaking away from the rest. If you want to know what I mean, just log out and scroll below.

Thanks Cory, could you please tell me what resolution you use...I want to make it so it looks right on all monitors because it looks right on mine
use 800x600, so table width if about 760px in your theme setting. Mka eit look good using that width and it will look good in any width!
k776 Wrote:use 800x600, so table width if about 760px in your theme setting. Mka eit look good using that width and it will look good in any width!

I say use '%' as much as possible. Unless obviously if you HAVE to have it a certain width.
well, and forgive me for going offtopic MajorSheppard, but using PX gives a better idea of how things will look for 800x600 +. If the text fits nicly, then that good. I have never like % because as the table expands, your images, text etc go out of alignment, which makes it pointless to do it.

Back on topic, nice theme. I like the custom on, off, and closed buttons you made Big Grin
Here's a guideline I use when knowing when to use either % or PT or PX for width. If you have a header that has hard edges or just comes to an edge, set your forum width using PT or PX so it will line up perfectly at the width of your banner. But if you're using a transparent background with no clear edges, use % to your taste as since it doesn't have an edge, it could be stretched out on a higher resolution without making it look awkward on your forum.
Pages: 1 2