MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Some suggestions for the upcoming MyBB 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey guys, I recently read the blog about about MyBB 2.0 development (the very first development post) and I can't wait to see it on Github. I know that day will come later and so I will post some ideas and suggestions here for the team.

SEO Features

I know this topic has been talked a lot through out the MyBB community and you guys also mentioned it in the #1 development post. I just wanted to remind you guys Smile

1. SEO Friendly title and URL
2. Auto generate description based on main post excerpt
3. Add rel-nofollow to subpages for categories display and post displays (only keep the first page indexable)
4. Add canonical tag to avoid duplicate contents.

Post Editor

The current post editor is so outdated and hard to use. To be honest, it's really hard to customize my post. My suggestion for this part is using CKEditor (http://ckeditor.com/) one of the best editor and most advanced one but easy to use.

Avoid adding "not-worth-the-time" features

By this I mean features like the Online page because this could slow down the website and it usually takes up a lot of server resources and for most of the time I find it useless and not accuarate enough. I suggests forum owners use something like Google Analytics. The "online page" feature could be a mod instead.
SEO friendly URLs are already confirmed in 2.0.

As for the others, we'll implement them if they're feasible. We're committed to making MyBB as powerful as it can be for SEO out of the box.

As far as the editor, the team is currently debating on which editor we want to use. CKEditor has some up, as has Redactor, WysiBB, and several others.

We never add things that we don't think are necessary to the core. We are reviewing the merit of certain features as we go. For example, the calendar will likely not return in 2.0 core. online.php's equivalent probably will, and it's not terribly intensive, but we'll consider the suggestion.

Thanks for your suggestions!
(2015-03-13, 07:19 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]SEO friendly URLs are already confirmed in 2.0.

As for the others, we'll implement them if they're feasible. We're committed to making MyBB as powerful as it can be for SEO out of the box.

As far as the editor, the team is currently debating on which editor we want to use. CKEditor has some up, as has Redactor, WysiBB, and several others.

We never add things that we don't think are necessary to the core. We are reviewing the merit of certain features as we go. For example, the calendar will likely not return in 2.0 core. online.php's equivalent probably will, and it's not terribly intensive, but we'll consider the suggestion.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Thank you for letting me know. I've used all three editors before and I think by far CKEditor has the best features and really straightforward. I hope you guys could add that into the core.
(2015-03-13, 04:23 AM)tannguyen135 Wrote: [ -> ]Post Editor

The current post editor is so outdated and hard to use. To be honest, it's really hard to customize my post. My suggestion for this part is using CKEditor (http://ckeditor.com/) one of the best editor and most advanced one but easy to use.

this not made any sense.
Sceditor is outdated ? Since when?

Ckeditor isn't best editor. Has several bugs and bugs too. And the biggest problem is size file is very big.

(2015-03-13, 07:19 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]As far as the editor, the team is currently debating on which editor we want to use. CKEditor has some up, as has Redactor, WysiBB, and several others.

Redactor is paid. And has other issue. Not has source mode.

Change to WysiBB not made any sense. Need several change to made work with mybb, Including core edit.
Core edits don't apply to 2.0 seeing as it's being rewritten from scratch. We'd just write the software to work with the chosen editor.
(2015-03-14, 08:40 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Core edits don't apply to 2.0 seeing as it's being rewritten from scratch. We'd just write the software to work with the chosen editor.

for me this isn't good idea...
will break all post made by mybb 1.8
Please check out TinyMCE too. It seems really good http://www.tinymce.com/index.php
(2015-03-14, 05:28 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]for me this isn't good idea...

What part? Writing 2.0 from scratch? That is set on stone since ages ago. Updates from 1.x will be supported.
(2015-03-14, 07:22 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-14, 05:28 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]for me this isn't good idea...

What part? Writing 2.0 from scratch? That is set on stone since ages ago. Updates from 1.x will be supported.

not part of rewrite...
but Euan T said that will write parse of mybb to match with edior of choice. This mean that parse of mybb 1.8 will totally different of mybb 2.0.

for me better write to match with parse of mybb 1.8 and not with editor of choice.

(2015-03-14, 06:07 PM)tannguyen135 Wrote: [ -> ]Please check out TinyMCE too. It seems really good http://www.tinymce.com/index.php

this is very bad editor.
xenforo dropped this editor because only has bug and bug.
(2015-03-14, 05:28 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-14, 08:40 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Core edits don't apply to 2.0 seeing as it's being rewritten from scratch. We'd just write the software to work with the chosen editor.

for me this isn't good idea...
will break all post made by mybb 1.8

Obviously we're not going to break existing posts. I would have thought that to be obvious. We are using the same parse format as 1.x in 2.0, but we are also adding to it and enhancing it. We can easily modify other editors with plugins to match our particular flavour of BBCode markup (which is much easier than writing an editor from scratch or continuously patching a buggy editor). We also want an editor that has good mobile support - something that SCEditor does not have (or at least, it isn't at all fluid on a modern iPad Mini or iPhone 5s - both of which are quite powerful and common devices).
Pages: 1 2 3 4