MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Custom Profile Fields
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I'm new to this, so bear with me. Thanks in advance.

In the Custom Profile Fields, for Gender, I have as Field Type - Select Box.

On Selectable Options box, I have:

Male
Female

It's a Required field that is shown on registration.

[Image: xc19u.jpg]

However, the user has the first option already selected for them, in this case, 'Male'. So if they don't do anything, they will be able to register as 'Male'. Obviously I don't want that to happen. I want them to be forced to select - Male or Female. Rather than the first option already selected for them.

This is what they see:

[Image: 2jfzzfp.jpg]

And as you can see, same problem with the Location field. It's set to Afghanistan.

This can potentially lead to members with "Male" and "Afghanistan" on their info, although they are neither male or located there. Which is the reason I need to correct this!

I tried adding a blank line, above male, but that doesn't work. Any help will be appreciated!

Anyone?  Huh
For gender you can always try this:

Field Type: Multiple Option Selection Box
Field Length: 2
(2015-03-15, 05:12 AM)ThemeFreaknet Wrote: [ -> ]For gender you can always try this:

Field Type: Multiple Option Selection Box
Field Length: 2

Thanks for your response. Will give that a try. What about the location? I'm sure there has got to be a general solution to this.
Or you can add another option in the dropdown as "Not specified", so that it remains default.
Yeah I tried that. But I assume there will be a lot of 'not specified' as a result. So I'm trying to force them to respond to it. Rather than have a bunch of people with 'not specified' as their location.
Do it like this:

1: For FIELD TYPE select RADIO BUTTONS
2: in SELECTABLE OPTIONS, delete other options leaving ONLY "Male" and "Female"  for selections ( see image below)
3: Make sure it's a REQUIRED FIELD = YES
4: EDITABLE by USER = YES. ( or it will not show on registration page )

[Image: sWzBUNN.png]

5: This is how it will LOOK to NEW REGISTRANTS.

[Image: lyynKqZ.png]

6: FAILURE to "CHECK" off "Male" or "Female" will give the errors as seen in image below.

[Image: GsSrRYy.png]

That's it.

* You can further do some modifications to disable members from changing that field *
( has to do with removing the select option in the user CP. - details can be found on this forum )

Thanks. That works for when there is only a few options. But for those with more options, such as location, I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to end up with users having 'not specified' without them doing anything. I want to force them to respond to the question of location. They can choose 'not specified' from the list. But currently, it's selected by default, and they don't have to respond to the question. Which is something I don't want to happen. I want them to answer this question.
(2015-03-15, 02:54 PM)yafin Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. That works for when there is only a few options. But for those with more options, such as location, I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to end up with users having 'not specified' without them doing anything. I want to force them to respond to the question of location. They can choose 'not specified' from the list. But currently, it's selected by default, and they don't have to respond to the question. Which is something I don't want to happen. I want them to answer this question.

If you do the SAME  with the "LOCATION" field as  with the "SEX" field as I explained in post #6 , the new REGISTRANT will HAVE to choose a Country ( LOCATION ) , or they will receive an Error.

[Image: gwkmnHL.png]
(2015-03-15, 05:49 PM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-15, 02:54 PM)yafin Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. That works for when there is only a few options. But for those with more options, such as location, I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to end up with users having 'not specified' without them doing anything. I want to force them to respond to the question of location. They can choose 'not specified' from the list. But currently, it's selected by default, and they don't have to respond to the question. Which is something I don't want to happen. I want them to answer this question.

If you do the SAME  with the "LOCATION" field as  with the "SEX" field as I explained in post #6 , the new REGISTRANT will HAVE to choose a Country ( LOCATION ) , or they will receive an Error.

[Image: gwkmnHL.png]

I tried that way already. But listing 200 countries as check-boxes, isn't what I want. I want the select-box/drop-down list as the field type, as it saves a lot of space, rather than a long list. And when I do have the select-box, there is no way to force the user to select. That's the problem I'm having. At the top of the list, I'm forced to have "Not specified". Even if it's set to required, they are not forced to select anything, as the first thing on the list (not specified) is already selected by default. So they can register with having not specified as their location without responding to the question, even though it's set to required. I want them to select country or not specified if they want. Rather than have not specified already selected by default. I want nothing selected for them, to force them to select an option from the list.
You can add a task to clean fields which value == Not Specified. Or edit the template to use a scrolling bar.

I personally wouldn't display the field in registration instead. But I do use complex systems instead..
Pages: 1 2