MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Encrypt Ips of users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to make sure all ips are encrypted in viewing threads if this is possible.

Due to IP loggers like iplogger.org being able to be put into avatars and post it really messed up my forum today with users grabbing ips.

I temp shutdown my board today in a panic as I thought shut down now and investigate later.

But yeah. Iplogger.org and other ip loggers are filtered out to possibly stop it. But I know people are smart enough especially on a board like mine to make their own iplogger or whatever.

But I don't want users to use a vpn. So I assume Ip encrypting would be the best solution.

Anyone know how to put mybb through a proxy or encrypt ips?
Would really love it.
I'm not sure that's even possible and even if it is it wouldn't solve the problem you think you have. If I host my avatar on my site, then when a user visits the thread, their computer sends a request to my server for that image, which would give me the visitor's IP address, your server doesn't come into it at all. The only way you could stop this is to block requesting any external resource at all. I think you're worrying about it more than you need to.
(2015-03-20, 12:28 PM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure that's even possible and even if it is it wouldn't solve the problem you think you have. If I host my avatar on my site, then when a user visits the thread, their computer sends a request to my server for that image, which would give me the visitor's IP address, your server doesn't come into it at all. The only way you could stop this is to block requesting any external resource at all. I think you're worrying about it more than you need to.

Most likely.
Anyways, this problem has been solved.
I dont really understand this topic but what im looking for is how to hide the ip of my members. Even the administrator shouldnt see it. When i check the complete list of who's online, i see all their ip. I want their complete privacy.
I believe there's a setting for each usergroup for whether they can view IPs, but being an admin may override that, I can't check at the moment.
@positivehighnewbie

Remove all references to IP's from the templates. It will still be in the DB/ACP but you will have to actively go look for them.
Just remove the ip refs from whos online templates.
(2015-03-20, 02:14 PM)positivehighnewbie Wrote: [ -> ]I dont really understand this topic but what im looking for is how to hide the ip of my members. Even the administrator shouldnt see it. When i check the complete list of who's online, i see all their ip. I want their complete privacy.

You can use this plugin: http://community.mybb.com/thread-166775.html to store fake IPs (if noone should be ever able to see real IPs).