MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to guarantee all threads are responded to
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't have an online MyBB yet. Still figuring out if MyBB will meet the requirements I have for thread processing or moderation.

MyBB version being target for testing: 1.8.4

I will be using MyBB for support forums, where regular users will post questions and then an assigned group of users (the supporters) will be reading and responding to threads / posts.

For every new post added either as a new thread or as a new post to existing thread, a/some supporter will have to make sure it is either responded to or the post/thread is flagged as "processed", meaning it doesn't need a responses.

When any member of the support group logs in, he needs to be able to find all posts/threads that have not been responded to.

What I am looking for is somewhat similar to read/unread, except for the fact that a post automatically becomes read when you view it and that will not do it. A post can not become "processed" unless a supporter explicitly flags the thread as "processed".

Open/Closed functionality will not cover it either, as regular users wouldn't be able to post to closed threads.

Without knowing what MyBB can offer, I imagine a thread level custom boolean field that automatically goes false on a post on a new thread and also automatically goes false on threads which have new posts added to it. Then this flag can manually be set to false/true by selected group of users and most importantly a searching feature would be needed to list all threads that have the "processed" flag as false.

The key question here is, can MyBB handle this? If so, how?

Best regards,
Palli
First put that user / groups permissions. Than add Thread prefixes and give supporters possiblity to add them.

Is it that what you search for?
I have a plugin called MySupport (same one we use here) which hasn't been updated for 1.8 yet, but has 'solved' statuses, and a new feature for threads to be 'on hold', i.e. you have responded and are waiting fort he user. Would this be what you need?
You can do this on thread level (using plugins) , but on post level it gets a bit more complex.  If the idea is that a user asks a question and only a small group can answer it, then you could use user permissions and moderation.

I think - without knowing your full requirements - that MyBB is a forum software designed for discussions, rather than a Q&A software like stackoverflow and if you want a Q&A setup then that is what you should use.

By use moderation on posts and threads you can set usergroup permissions so users cannot have their post visible without it being approved first. 
(2015-03-25, 12:35 PM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]I have a plugin called MySupport (same one we use here) which hasn't been updated for 1.8 yet, but has 'solved' statuses, and a new feature for threads to be 'on hold', i.e. you have responded and are waiting fort he user. Would this be what you need?

Hi Matt,

This plugin sounds interesting and may be exactly what I am looking for. 

The goal is of course that a group of users (supporters) can work together towards the same goal which is to make sure that every thread gets a response one way or the other.

In some cases, like I presume is the case here, the community steps in and posts a response that is good enough and in that case supporters don't need to track that thread any more. 

Since I am a totally a newbe here, I have not idea what it means that a plugin has not been updated for v1.8 and since I am interested in knowing more on this plugin, how would I proceed ?

Palli

(2015-03-25, 12:35 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]You can do this on thread level (using plugins) , but on post level it gets a bit more complex.  If the idea is that a user asks a question and only a small group can answer it, then you could use user permissions and moderation.

I think - without knowing your full requirements - that MyBB is a forum software designed for discussions, rather than a Q&A software like stackoverflow and if you want a Q&A setup then that is what you should use.

By use moderation on posts and threads you can set usergroup permissions so users cannot have their post visible without it being approved first. 

Leefish,

My requirements are thread based. What I was trying to explain was the impact a new post on a thread would have, meaning that a new post on an old thread should bring that thread to the attention of the support group.

I am not talking about restricting replies to a group. I don't mind if any user responds. I an only referring to a moderator's overview and the capability to "flag" the thread as completed, with or without responding to it. If for instance a community member steps in and posts a reply that is good enough, the supporter doesn't necessarily have to respond, but should be able to flag the thread as processed so other supporters don't have to worry about it either.

To be clear, I am talking thread based Q&A like management with community participation  Rolleyes

On those notes, if I want the Q&A setup, can you recommend some open source software that would cover it?

Palli
(2015-03-25, 07:59 PM)palli Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-25, 12:35 PM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]I have a plugin called MySupport (same one we use here) which hasn't been updated for 1.8 yet, but has 'solved' statuses, and a new feature for threads to be 'on hold', i.e. you have responded and are waiting fort he user. Would this be what you need?

Hi Matt,

This plugin sounds interesting and may be exactly what I am looking for. 

The goal is of course that a group of users (supporters) can work together towards the same goal which is to make sure that every thread gets a response one way or the other.

In some cases, like I presume is the case here, the community steps in and posts a response that is good enough and in that case supporters don't need to track that thread any more. 

Since I am a totally a newbe here, I have not idea what it means that a plugin has not been updated for v1.8 and since I am interested in knowing more on this plugin, how would I proceed ?

Palli

(2015-03-25, 12:35 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]You can do this on thread level (using plugins) , but on post level it gets a bit more complex.  If the idea is that a user asks a question and only a small group can answer it, then you could use user permissions and moderation.

Leefish,

My requirements are thread based. What I was trying to explain was the impact a new post on a thread would have, meaning that a new post on an old thread should bring that thread to the attention of the support group.

I am not talking about restricting replies to a group. I don't mind if any user responds. I an only referring to a moderator's overview and the capability to "flag" the thread as completed, with or without responding to it. If for instance a community member steps in and posts a reply that is good enough, the supporter doesn't necessarily have to respond, but should be able to flag the thread as processed so other supporters don't have to worry about it either.

To be clear, I am talking thread based Q&A like management with community participation  Rolleyes

On those notes, if I want the Q&A setup, can you recommend some open source software that would cover it?

Palli

Probably XThreads can sort of do it.. You can set a field in the thread in first post and set that to processed; however, it wont change if you have a new post in a thread.
(2015-03-25, 07:59 PM)palli Wrote: [ -> ]meaning that a new post on an old thread should bring that thread to the attention of the support group.

Forced subscriptions for all threads would probably be the best solution then.
I think that XThreads is a bit of an overshoot, and not sure if it is available for 1.8.

Now that I am a bit more familiar with MyBB, after sucessfully migrating a forum software that isn't supported by merge, I think I will go for ThreadPrefix and a custom task that will act on all new posts arriving since the was last run. New threads and threads with new posts will get a Thread Prefix that should be interpreted as "Open". When done with the thread, I just clear the Thread prefix, which makes the thread completed.

I think this should get me where I need to be and writing a custom task does seem very simple, so I will give it a go.

Thanks for your ideas guys,
Palli