MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,
I currently hosted myself with Hostgator and powered my site with MyBB. You can find my site here. Although so far everything is quite nice, it seems that Hostgator only gives me MyBB's old versions. Currently I am stuck at 1.6.12 and I would like to update to 1.8.

I have tried on my own using the guide, multiple times, I even used Youtube and other sites, but all I get are headaches.

I am looking to hire someone who can make the upgrade for me, and I would greatly appreciate it! I am willing to pay a reasonable price, one that makes sense.

Thanks,
Noki
MyBB staff generally doesn't recommend using your host for MyBB installation (since things like this have happened before). Since your forum appears to be very new, I would recommend making a backup of your themes, customized templates, and start at scratch with 1.8.4 - Though, the themes may need heavy customization to be compatible with 1.8

But in case you don't want to do that, can you say anything more about the errors you are getting?
Is there a host that you do recommend??

That's okay, I am willing for the customization, I just really need some plug-ins to be compatible so I can use them, hence why I need the upgrade.

I just need to get some plug-ins going, like recent posts in threads in the side table, that is the main reason why I need this upgrade, and probably for other plug-ins that I will need. Although I just got a virus on my computer, to which I suspect filezilla was the cause since the technician took off filezilla from my laptop to clean it up - is there another way to install plug-ins onto the site later on without filezilla?
(2015-03-29, 04:56 AM)Noki Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a host that you do recommend??

That's okay, I am willing for the customization, I just really need some plug-ins to be compatible so I can use them, hence why I need the upgrade.

I just need to get some plug-ins going, like recent posts in threads in the side table, that is the main reason why I need this upgrade, and probably for other plug-ins that I will need. Although I just got a virus on my computer, to which I suspect filezilla was the cause since the technician took off filezilla from my laptop to clean it up - is there another way to install plug-ins onto the site later on without filezilla?

I use T1Hosting, personally. I've been using it for almost a year and I have never had any downtime. It's pretty small and very cheap too. You can use the coupon 9MV1P5Q4UY to get your first year for $5, which is what I did, really. And I will be renewing my service sometime soon for $15/year. If you do decide to sign up, please use my referrer link: https://t1hosting.com/aff.php?aff=030

Okay, which plugins do you currently have for 1.6 and need for 1.8? Or do you just want 1.8 plugins only?

FileZilla is just a FTP client. It is open source. I don't know why the technician removed it. It is safe and one of, if not the best, FTP clients. But you can still install plugins and update your forum without it, just use cPanel, Hostgator and T1Hosting provides it for free.

I do recommend starting on a new slate. Host-provided software installations are generally crap...
well, we do not recommend automatic installations & automatic upgrades from any host. However HG as a web host should be fine
(except some glitches when their servers are in maintenance & they do not agree openly that their servers have problems)

@Noki you may PM me the details