MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Unable to access Administrator functions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am a beginner here - this is my first post.
My forum seems to be working OK except for two problems.

Main problem. I am the Administrator. I can log in to the forum with my Administrator user name and password, and from there I can access the User Control panel and the Moderator Control Panel. But when I click on "Admin CP" to access the Administrator Control Panel I am prompted to enter my username and password again, which I do, but I then get the following error message:

MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.
SQL Error:
1054 - Unknown column '2fasecret' in 'field list'
Query:
SELECT 2fasecret FROM mbb_adminoptions WHERE uid='1'

Up until now, I have not had any reason to go into the Administrator Control Panel, so I don't know how long the problem has been there.

Second problem. The Administrator's "Join date" displays as 02-07-2106 06:28AM - consequently the Administrator always shows as being the most-recently joined member, whereas I was actually the first member to join. I'm not sure how long that has been there either, as I was concentrating on other things.

I would appreciate any comments about how I might have got into this situation, or how it could be fixed. There are so far only a handful of members, threads and replies, so if I have to start the whole thing again from scratch, it won't be the end of the world, but I would like to have learned something from the experience.
can we have your forum url .. is it a fresh installation or has it been upgraded from earlier version ?
how forum was installed / upgraded ? have you used automatic facility available through web host panel ?

looks like your forum is not upgraded correctly to the recent version and it needs to be upgraded again
Thanks for replying. The answers to your questions are:
Forum URL: http://www.history.org.au/AHSSG/
It was a fresh installation of version 1.8.0 on 27 Sep 2014 at 12:30AM Australian ES Time.
cPanel settings:
Automatic update: Update to minor new versions and security releases.
Automatic update backup: Create a backup and automatically restore the backup if the update fails.
I can see a backup with a Last Modified Date of Feb 17, 2015 3:41AM AEST.
The backup is still there although it was supposed to be automatically deleted after 14 days.
That is close to the release date of version 1.8.4 but I can't determine which version is (supposedly) there now because I can't get in to the Admin CP. And I can't tell whether the update failed and the forum was restored from the backup. Or maybe the system thought the update was good but really it wasn't.
Since creating my post five hours ago, I have had a different SQL error, when I tried to look at the forum without logging in.
I hope that helps to clarify it.
That's why it's recommended to run manual installs/updates. They only take few minutes - less than dealing with bugs caused by automatic cPanel features.
I followed your advice to do the upgrade again. I downloaded the upgrade file for upgrading to version 1.8.4. Then I followed all the instructions up to the point of running upgrade.php. The first thing that happened was that I received this error message:

MyBB Installation Wizard
Upgrade Process
Error
You do not have permissions to run this process. You need administrator permissions to be able to run the upgrade procedure.
If you need to logout, please click here. From there you will be able to log in again under your administrator account.

I seem to be in a Catch-22 situation here. The main reason that I am here trying to upgrade is because I can't access any administrator functions, but it is telling me that I must be running as administrator.

Incidentally, my cPanel shows me running 1.8.4 and the files that were overwritten during my upload already had dates of 16 February or thereabouts. So clearly the upgrade process completed, but probably with some corrupt data.

So it seems I must do a full install of 1.8.0, followed by an upgrade to 1.8.4.

Is there any way I can do the full install and then recreate the threads without having to ask the users to do their posts again? I have the backup that was made as part of the automatic upgrade on 17 February, and I also have a complete backup of the website done through cPanel today, which presumably contains the posts that have been entered since 17 February, but the ones since 17 February don't matter because they were virtually all entered by me and I can easily repeat them.
(2015-03-31, 07:46 AM)Curly Coated Retriever Wrote: [ -> ]So it seems I must do a full install of 1.8.0, followed by an upgrade to 1.8.4.

No. You're only making it harder. Just download MyBB 1.8.4: http://resources.mybb.com/downloads/mybb_1804.zip and install it directly following this guide: http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/

EDIT: oh, missed the backup paragraph:
(2015-03-31, 07:46 AM)Curly Coated Retriever Wrote: [ -> ]I have the backup that was made as part of the automatic upgrade on 17 February

Was the backup made before or after the automatic upgrade? If the 1st, install MyBB which was running at that point (1.8.0 I assume), import the database and then upgrade manually to 1.8.4 following the upgrade guide: http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/ If the 2nd, importing it is of no value because it will still be bugged in the same way. The only thing you can do in that case is fixing all bugs in phpMyAdmin by running queries that add that missing column etc.
(2015-03-31, 11:17 AM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-31, 07:46 AM)Curly Coated Retriever Wrote: [ -> ]So it seems I must do a full install of 1.8.0, followed by an upgrade to 1.8.4.

No. You're only making it harder. Just download MyBB 1.8.4: http://resources.mybb.com/downloads/mybb_1804.zip and install it directly following this guide: http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/

EDIT: oh, missed the backup paragraph:

(2015-03-31, 07:46 AM)Curly Coated Retriever Wrote: [ -> ]I have the backup that was made as part of the automatic upgrade on 17 February

Was the backup made before or after the automatic upgrade? If the 1st, install MyBB which was running at that point (1.8.0 I assume), import the database and then upgrade manually to 1.8.4 following the upgrade guide: http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/ If the 2nd, importing it is of no value because it will still be bugged in the same way. The only thing you can do in that case is fixing all bugs in phpMyAdmin by running queries that add that missing column etc.

Thanks for replying. I was using the (quite brief) guide that came with the downloaded upgrade. I will study those other guides you have pointed to.
The backup was made as the first step in the automatic upgrade, so presumably it is not corrupt. And I assume that 1.8.3 was running at the time. Automatic upgrade has been enabled ever since I installed 1.8.0 in September. I guess it was automatically upgraded to 1.8.1, and later to 1.8.2, and later to 1.8.3.
I am in Australia and you are probably in North America. It is now well past my bedtime. I hope to get back to this sometime tomorrow.
the SQL error quoted in the first post clearly says that MyBB 1.8.4 version files were added automatically
but upgrade was not run fine (or it is not run at all). administrator should login to the forum for upgrading
(2015-03-31, 03:01 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]the SQL error quoted in the first post clearly says that MyBB 1.8.4 version files were added automatically
but upgrade was not run fine (or it is not run at all). administrator should login to the forum for upgrading

I have had another go at it, and this time the upgrade to 1.8.4 completed, and I can now perform Administrator functions.

My thanks to everyone who helped, especially to ".m.".

The minor problem that I had is still there. The original Administrator still has an unreal "Joined" date and "Last Visit" date of 02-07-2106, 06:28 AM, and is always the subject of the "Please welcome our newest member" message whenever anyone accesses the forum. I created a additional user account for myself, which I have now given access to the "Administrator" group. I am thinking that I if I now delete the original Administrator account, this would fix this remaining minor problem. I guess it is OK to do that, otherwise the option would not be available. Any thoughts?
Have you checked the index_stats template under Index templates?
Pages: 1 2