MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum is showing up to guests without permission
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just created a new forum section under an existing category that already has a forum in it and set permissions so only administrators are able to see it. When I look at the forum list as a guest the forum is still visible. Is there a way to make the subforum only visible to admins without putting it under a new category?

Ok so apparently if you change the forum settings and uncheck active and open to hide the forum. Then check them back on it works.
Can't reproduce. Which MyBB version are you using?

And no idea why would (un)checking these 2 settings change anything. Unless the forumpermissions cache wasn't saved correctly after the 1st edit.
I am running latest 1.8.4.

Create new subforum, remove permissions for all users except admins, save. Forum is visible for all.
Uncheck open and active. Save. Forum no longer visible to anyone.
Check open and active. Forum now shows up to admins as it should.

My guess it is something with the cache.
Have you checked to see if the setting Hide Private Forums? is set to yes? It's located under the Forum Home Options setting group.
(2015-04-05, 06:22 PM)Starpaul20 Wrote: [ -> ]Have you checked to see if the setting Hide Private Forums? is set to yes? It's located under the Forum Home Options setting group.

It's set to yes.
I actually had this issue the other day with a newly installed version of 1.8.4 as well.

I set up an admin section and only gave access to the admin and super mod group.

well, I had chrome opened up in incognito mode with a test user account who was in the registered user group to test some thread prefixes and warning levels. I was able to manually get inside the forums that were supposed to be 'locked down' by appending the fid number to the end of the URL. as soon as I cleared the forumpermissions cache, it threw a no permission error.

edited to add: my main browser is firefox. so the new category and forum section as well as the permissions were set up in firefox. I was testing with a test user account in incognito mode with chrome.
(2015-04-05, 04:47 PM)bignslow Wrote: [ -> ]Create new subforum, remove permissions for all users except admins, save.

Did you save only-admin permissions immediately when creating the new forum? How many forums and groups do you have? Can you reproduce the bug when creating another forum? Which plugins do you use?

EDIT:
could only find this issue:
- unused variable: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/blob/featur...s.php#L304
But that doesn't cause it.

Also make sure that the Use Group Default checkoxes aren't left ticked when you save.
(2015-04-05, 09:07 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-05, 04:47 PM)bignslow Wrote: [ -> ]Create new subforum, remove permissions for all users except admins, save.

Did you save only-admin permissions immediately when creating the new forum? How many forums and groups do you have? Can you reproduce the bug when creating another forum? Which plugins do you use?

EDIT:
could only find this issue:
- unused variable: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/blob/featur...s.php#L304
But that doesn't cause it.

Also make sure that the Use Group Default checkoxes aren't left ticked when you save.

I gave admin, mod and super mod permissions and removed permissions from all other users groups. Use Group Default checkboxes are automatically unchecked as soon as I remove permissions from other user groups.

I have around 25 forums and all the groups are defaults.

As far as plugins I have custom forum icons, Tapatalk, Show users that have been online today, cpmfetch and PM log.

I noticed the issue when I did testing from different browsers like user above. I created forum in Firefox then opened it in IE as a guest and was able to view it.
I've never seen a similar issue and apparently nobody is able to reproduce it. Going to reject this as long as nobody comes up with more infos.