MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Notification system with node.js ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all !

I don't know if this idea has been already proposed, but i think a notification system like on Facebook for exemple, should be really nice..

By using node.js for exemple.

What are you thinking about this ?

Best regards !

Themiller.
Node.js is a server side technology which isn't available on most hosts. We won't be using it for any of MyBB 2.0, which is written in PHP.
(2015-04-07, 06:02 PM)Themiller12 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all !

I don't know if this idea has been already proposed, but i think a notification system like on Facebook for exemple, should be really nice..

Best regards !

Themiller.

You may look a the NodeBB forums that are open source but MyBB can't have node.js because not every shared host offer such technology, and there's no profit for these efforts that only profitable for some high config server owners like VPS or Dedicated!
(2015-04-10, 05:42 AM)kartic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-07, 06:02 PM)Themiller12 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all !

Best regards !

Themiller.

You may look a the NodeBB forums that are open source but MyBB can't have node.js because not every shared host offer such technology, and there's no profit for these efforts that only profitable for some high config server owners like VPS or Dedicated!

I've actually tried using Node.js and NodeBB. The real reason many providers don't use Node.js is the mere fact that it takes way too long to configure Node.js and it's a real pain to setup. I had one set up, but it took me 8 hours just to setup Node.js. Once it's up, it's nice and all, but damn do you have to restart the board a lot if you decide to add plugins to NodeBB. At least with a PHP-based message board, you don't have to restart the server every time you want to add a plugin, just drag & drop the files via FTP like FileZilla, Install & Activate, then refresh whatever tabs loaded the forum before the plugin was activated. NodeBB as it currently operates, will never succeed against a server-side language until they change how NodeBB handles the installation of plugins. It makes for a decent Social Network platform though, as long as you don't want to add to it very often.
(2015-04-12, 11:58 PM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually tried using Node.js and NodeBB. The real reason many providers don't use Node.js is the mere fact that it takes way too long to configure Node.js and it's a real pain to setup. I had one set up, but it took me 8 hours just to setup Node.js. Once it's up, it's nice and all, but damn do you have to restart the board a lot if you decide to add plugins to NodeBB. At least with a PHP-based message board, you don't have to restart the server every time you want to add a plugin, just drag & drop the files via FTP like FileZilla, Install & Activate, then refresh whatever tabs loaded the forum before the plugin was activated. NodeBB as it currently operates, will never succeed against a server-side language until they change how NodeBB handles the installation of plugins. It makes for a decent Social Network platform though, as long as you don't want to add to it very often.

I've setup NodeBB within 2 hours on a brand new server without any software installed.  It's not that bad. Wink 
Working with NodeBB is only as difficult as getting used to PHP. NodeBB is an awesome script. Only reason it has not been a hit is lack of Node.js on shared hosting. Worth a try if you have a 1GB RAM VPS or higher.
Sorry, i was in USA for work so i didn't watch the topic. Thank you for your answers !

(2015-04-07, 07:06 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Node.js is a server side technology which isn't available on most hosts. We won't be using it for any of MyBB 2.0, which is written in PHP.

Yeah that's true.. But is it impossible to add a functionality who will send queries to check new messages / topic in the database each minutes for exemple ? It will overload the server for big forum, but it would be nice for the others.. You just have to add a warning like "By enabling this functionality you will increase the server load. Make sure your server is enough strong....."

@Others :

I don't like the design of NodeBB. Perhaps could i create a theme but i think it's too much work for just have push notifications on my forum..
Having live (or regular) updating of content is something we've discussed and will be actively exploring as we continue development. Keep your eyes on the blog for updates Smile
Yeah that's nice ! Thank you Mybb staff, you do really good job (y)
(2015-05-02, 02:33 PM)Themiller12 Wrote: [ -> ]-snip-
I don't like the design of NodeBB. Perhaps could i create a theme but i think it's too much work for just have push notifications on my forum..

Were not saying to go with NodeBB for your alerts/notification needs, we're just saying that Node.js isn't widely supported (and probably the worst example). The best example to give for a PHP-based software with a Facebook-like active notification system would be XenForo. I'm on a couple of boards that use them and it does have active notification support. Not quite implemented like Facebook (click the "notification" or "globe" icon and see a list), instead their "alerts" is a mouse-over feature that lists the new alerts. If MyBB could implement an a onClick instead of onMouseOver, I think it'd be awesome.