MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How often do you use Approve and Unapprove?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As a forum administrator / moderator, how often do you use the 'approve' and 'unapprove' moderation options for posts and threads?

What kind of things do you use it for? Do you use one much more than the other?
(2015-04-14, 08:49 AM)Will P Wrote: [ -> ]As a forum administrator / moderator, how often do you use the 'approve' and 'unapprove' moderation options for posts and threads?

What kind of things do you use it for? Do you use one much more than the other?

on a previous BBO I ran, we used the unapprove thread option A LOT if the content was questionable or we needed a second opinion..it was the easiest way to hide the thread until we decided what needed to be done.
In 1.6 I used it a lot because there was no soft delete. In 1.8 I rarely use it due to soft delete.
I use it often when the post isn't needed or if I want it out the way temporarily.
I never use it for the simple fact I never have any members on any MyBB installations. Of course, I also don't advertise the boards, which greatly helps keep spammers away since they will likely never visit the boards, but greatly decreases any chance of getting potential members. Oh well. lol
I run an RP forum, and I use the approve/unapprove very often in the forum that holds a lot of our game "lore". We have it set up so members can contribute by adding their own posts and threads in that forum, but since whatever is in that forum becomes official, it's nice to be able to have the approve/unapprove option so staff can review it first.
(2015-04-14, 05:29 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]In 1.6 I used it a lot because there was no soft delete.  In 1.8 I rarely use it due to soft delete.

I, on the other hand, still prefer using (un)approval. Why?
- soft deleted posts aren't displayed anywhere in ACP/MCP
- number of soft deleted posts isn't shown in forumbits/on forumdisplay
- you can't set auto soft deletion for specific forums/groups

These 3 things make (un)approval tool a lot more useful, in my opinion.
(2015-04-15, 06:50 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-14, 05:29 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]In 1.6 I used it a lot because there was no soft delete.  In 1.8 I rarely use it due to soft delete.

I, on the other hand, still prefer using (un)approval. Why?
- soft deleted posts aren't displayed anywhere in ACP/MCP
- number of soft deleted posts isn't shown in forumbits/on forumdisplay
- you can't set auto soft deletion for specific forums/groups

These 3 things make (un)approval tool a lot more useful, in my opinion.

agreed.

I think for 2.0, 1 or the other should be improved: either get rid of soft delete and improve unapproved threads/posts or vice versa.
(2015-04-16, 06:21 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]agreed.

I think for 2.0, 1 or the other should be improved: either get rid of soft delete and improve unapproved threads/posts or vice versa.

How would you like to see unapproved threads/posts improved such that soft delete isn't a required feature any longer?
Why can't they be combined into one feature taking the best features of both. Call it soft disapproval. :p
Pages: 1 2 3