MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Email sending not working after upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I upgraded to 1.8 from 1.6 this weekend. Ever since then, the email system does not seem to be working. I usually get email notifications for thread updates, but I've had nothing come in at all. Another member told me today that the "retrieve password" email didn't work for her.

Would the upgrade not have kept my previous email settings? My system mail log was telling me "MyBB was unable to send the email using the PHP mail() function." This morning I created a new email address on my server and attempted to set up the mail config with SMTP, but that hasn't worked and has resulted in this message in my logs: "Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details. Reason: 0: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known"

Any ideas and help are appreciated! Smile
upgrading to MyBB 1.8 should not affect mail functionality.
please see few search results & it would be better to contact web host to get it fixed

however, run file verification tool available at tools & maintenance section of admin panel
to ensure that you have correct files. if you find that major files are changed / missing then
replace them from MyBB original files pack. (you can ignore reported images and files from
install folder. if you use Google SEO plugin then do not replace ~/inc/functions.php file)
What did you set your SMTP server to? It sounds like it can't be resolved.
Well, you know, I set it to regular PHP like I had before, and that didn't work, so I attempted setting it to SMTP, but I'm sure I got something wrong.  Rolleyes  So I re-set it to PHP. Behold, it worked. And then we were down for 1.5 hours Saturday morning and it hasn't worked since.

I think this is a web host question. Thanks for the help!