MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A List of Things That Should Be In MyBB 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
A Big List of Things That Should Be Add In MyBB 2.0
  • A theme and plugin up-loader from Admin CP (Might happen)
  • A video up-loader on user profile (Use types in the link of the video and it show on the person profile) (Not going to happen)
Update To Post 4/21/15
  • A Spoiler Tag (Might happen)
  • A favicon adder in Admin CP (Might Happen)
  • Prune inactive users from Admin CP (Might happen)
  • Custom profile status like Facebook (Not going to happen)
  • A built in thanks system (Its going to happen)
  • Shows users IP on profile admins/mods only (Not going to happen)
  • A built in report PMs system (Its going to happen)
  • Announcement/news bars (Not sure yet)
  • Multiple poll questions (Not going to happen)
  • A PM when a person registers saying like "Welcome to the forums." (Might happen)
  • Login/Register with social sites (Not going to happen)
  • Recent visitors on profile (Not going to happen)
  • Recent activity on profile (Might happen)
  • Mobile version (Its going to happen)
That's it for now but I will keep post updated with more stuff soon. I hope to see some of this.
You need to rethink the link for user profile. We need something so we know if a link goes to a user's profile, a forum, or a topic. The software must then be able to acquire the ID of that user, forum, or topic based on that URL. Usernames should be unique, so http://YourForum.com/User-Darth (where Darth is the name of the user) should work. Threads often share the same name, so some other scheme needs to be used. Ditto for forums and categories.
I'd honestly be a proponent of us using something like /u/username for users, /t/topic-name, /p/post-id, /page-name if we had a basic page system.

I don't think it's going to go that way though.
I update the post
Quote:A theme and plugin up-loader from Admin CP

Has been suggested many times before and may happen, but there are some issues with that. Our primary concern
is that it could expose admins to security risks by not giving them a chance to inspect the code they're uploading
to their site before it's there.

As for themes specifically, I feel like that might be very possible.

Quote:A video up-loader on user profile (Use types in the link of the video and it show on the person profile)

Why do users need an uploaded video on their profile? In addition, uploading video is costly to disk space
more often than not.

Quote:New profile link like this http://YourForum.com/ThePersonUsername
Currently, it's username.uid (e.g. for me here it would be Josh-H.43697)
Quote:A Spoiler Tag

Might happen because it's very commonly used, but hasn't been officially decided on yet.

Quote:A favicon adder in Admin CP

Maybe. I can see a few ways that this could be done. Either we have just a setting similar to board logo
in the theme configuration section to set a favicon url. Or, we can facilitate uploading to the themes directory
(or just uploads) and generate a random destination name for the file, save that in a DB setting, and stick a
link rel=icon in the templates.

Quote:Prune inactive users from Admin CP

Very relevant to the purpose of running a forum, so I think there's a good chance we could do this if we remember Smile

Quote:Custom profile status like Facebook

Unlikely to make it in core, as far as I know. However, there's a great chance that there will be a plugin released
with said functionality early on in 2.0's life cycle.

Quote:A built in thanks system

Do "likes" suffice? If so, they've already been put in the code!

Quote:Shows users IP on profile admins/mods only

Any specific application of this? Otherwise, it would probably just be clutter, more often than not. We're trying
to keep profiles clean and only containing the information that really matters.

Quote:A built in report PMs system

Definitely. Conversations and the messages in them should be reportable.

Quote:Announcement/news bars

I think we've brought this up before, but haven't decided on implementing it yet or not. I'm personally in favor
of it because relaying quick news to users is a relevant thing to a forum.

Quote:Multiple poll questions

MyBB is not meant to be a survey platform, per se. I don't see any reason you would really need more than one poll
question. The poll question should be directly linked to the thread topic, otherwise you're doing it wrong.

Quote:A PM when a person registers saying like "Welcome to the forums."

Might be in core as a setting, with configurable text. Seems like a reasonable suggestion.

Quote:Login/Register with social sites

As far as I understand, we are not going to be implementing these. However, it will be easy to implement social login
options because a) Laravel makes it easy with Socialite and b) the login handler will be more easily extensible for
changes like this.

Quote:Recent visitors on profile

Why should someone care who viewed their profile recently? Hell, even Facebook and Twitter don't give you this and
they're social networks. The only way you can do this on FB/Twitter is by foolishly giving away your authorization to
an untrusted app.

Quote:Recent activity on profile

Unsure of exactly what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?
Quote:
Quote:Recent activity on profile

Unsure of exactly what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?
Like the forums the person just posted in
Just checked the GitHub repo, and it looks like that's slated to happen Smile
Regarding recent activity, keep your eyes peeled for the next Dev post #3 Wink
I will keep my eyes peeled
(2015-04-22, 06:24 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is not meant to be a survey platform, per se. I don't see any reason you would really need more than one poll question. The poll question should be directly linked to the thread topic, otherwise you're doing it wrong.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-46188.html
http://community.mybb.com/thread-154224.html
Pages: 1 2 3 4