MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMTP Mass Mail Taking A Long Time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am currently setting up a MyBB forum and using SMTP mail configurations to send out Mass Mail messages to a small user base currently (15 and will most likely max to around 100 or so). Currently when send out a message the delivery time is set to immediately but will often times take anywhere from 2-24hours to actually send but it does end of working however this long of delay is unacceptable due to the clientele.

I have been trying to look around for answers and have found two cases similar to this but I believe they only work with the phpmail setting which I am unable to use for administrative reasons.

Case 1: If a mail is not sending out fast enough I saw that you may go to the task manager and click run this task on mass mail to send it out immediately. In my case the task manager log states the mail was sent on command and the mail gets moved from inque to sent on the mass mail page however in this instance now the email is never sent.

Case 2: Due to possibly limited web traffic you can setup a cron job to run the task.php file where the actual mail might be pilled up. The only concern I have with this is that since I'm using SMTP mail settings will this have any effect with a cron job since I'm not using phpmail?

I know my smtp settings are working because the mail is eventually sending... but just with long delay but I'm at a loss as to how I can have the mass mail send out much faster and at higher consistency.

SMTP mail settings:

Host: smtp.google.com
SMTP Port: 465
SMTP Username: [email protected]
Password:XXXXX
Encryption Type: SSL encryption
Mail Logging: log everything
Add message ID in mail headers: No

Thank you very much in advance.
it depends on the mail server & php mail might serve better if you have domain based mail account

eventually Google might stop sending mass mails through its SMTP server for individual mail accounts
& you might need to setup domain based email account (eg. [email protected]) to send mass mails
Due to our corporate network layout we are not allowed to tie in to the core network domain mail system which is why smtp is being used.
^ are you using Google Apps business account mail ID for the forum ?
Currently it just a personal Gmail account with no Google Apps business or any other additional services.
task.php only gets hit when someone views a page in the forum. task.php looks at the next task to run and runs it. If your forum has low volume, then tasks won't run as often as you might like. I set up a cron job to hit task.php once every few minutes to combat this situation.