MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: send PMs to user groups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
this would be a very nice feature to have in 2.0. I would of loved to of seen it in 1.8, but that ship has sailed for now.

usage: if you have a decent amount of mods or something along those lines in a user group and need to keep them in copy in a PM it'd be easier to type out their user group (something like @usergroup would be neat!) and send it that way than typing out each user's username. similarly, if I have a custom user group for vendors on the forum with say 15-20 users inside the group, and I need to get that message out to all of them at once, this would also be a suitable method.

I realize that mass mail could be used, but that seems a bit excessive if there's only a few people that need to get the PM.
Yeah, I'd agree with this addition, which would go nicely with the Conversations system that'll be in 2.0.

- Add usergroup to conversation by @usergroup or perhaps #usergroup to separate from usernames. # implies a subject or grouping of some sort, whereas @ is usually aimed at a person, IMO.

- Permissions for who can add groups to conversations
(2015-04-27, 09:41 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I'd agree with this addition, which would go nicely with the Conversations system that'll be in 2.0.

- Add usergroup to conversation by @usergroup or perhaps #usergroup to separate from usernames. # implies a subject or grouping of some sort, whereas @ is usually aimed at a person, IMO.

- Permissions for who can add groups to conversations

yeah, we definitely want to be able to restrict who can use the @usergroup or #usergroup functionality.  I'd hate to see a forum's performance get degraded because some random user decided to send a PM to a group with thousands of users in it.   Toungue
(2015-04-27, 09:52 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd hate to see a forum's performance get degraded because some random user decided to send a PM to a group with thousands of users in it.   Toungue

Hmm... We might have to check the group size and if it's over a certain amount (a lot, but possible), then batch them over a task queue, and also implement a sane flood protection.

Should also be a setting similar to "#group can only be group messaged by [usergroups]" in order to avoid something like a #registered spam accelerator.
(2015-04-27, 09:55 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-27, 09:52 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd hate to see a forum's performance get degraded because some random user decided to send a PM to a group with thousands of users in it.   Toungue

Hmm... We might have to check the group size and if it's over a certain amount, then batch them over a task queue, and also implement a sane flood protection.

Should also be a setting similar to "#group can only be group messaged by [usergroups]" in order to avoid something like a #registered spam accelerator.

yep, admin control over who can use the feature & proper queuing for larger groups is key to implementing it properly.   Smile
I love this idea! Hope it is possible!
Excellent idea! I think to start off with, Group Messaging should be restricted to staff-like groups by default and if an administrator feels the need to loosen the restrictions, they could. That way administrators can still set options for Group Messaging, but still prevent Group Messaging being immediately abused right "out of the box," so to speak.
(2015-05-01, 05:06 AM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent idea! I think to start off with, Group Messaging should be restricted to staff-like groups by default and if an administrator feels the need to loosen the restrictions, they could. That way administrators can still set options for Group Messaging, but still prevent Group Messaging being immediately abused right "out of the box," so to speak.

that's my opinion as well.
Please add an option to deactivate this feature in ACP too.
(2015-04-27, 09:41 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]- Permissions for who can add groups to conversations
I think this is not enough - e.g. you could want to allow normal users to compose a message to the team group, but you do not want to allow sending PMs to the registered group. 

I'd like to see the following permissions (settings) for adding groups as PM recipient:
- Group can add groups as PM recipient
- Group can be added as PM recipient
- Group can add all groups as PM recipient (bypass the setting above e.g. for administrators only)
Pages: 1 2