MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Noobie Questions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am new to MyBB. I installed it last week and somehow the site gave me 1.6.16 which I installed on my website host. It works fine. Only after doing a bunch of mods did I discover that it is not the latest version.

Tried to upgrade: Disaster. I kinda like the 1.6 addon collection and was never very fond of the latest and greatest' in software. In fact I still run XP.

Loaded both 1.6 and 1.8 locally, both work fine, and dont see any great difference between the two versions, at least for my needs. The forum I'm using it for is a general 'chat' with no serious information I am concerned about compromising. In fact it has mostly guest accounts. So XSS is not a major problem, and if it was can it be remedied through .htaccess or a 1.6 mod?

Now on to the real problem, which can be a deal breaker here.
I WANT users to be able to upload photos directly onto my server in their posts. Not as attachments! But as normal inserts, AND FROM THEIR MACHINES.

There is a 1.8 addon for that, but it appears to rely on some cloud API. Its a no-go and not a reason to upgrade.

Is there possibly a way by enabling HTML for registered users, and telling them to dump pics into C:\Temp and upload from the local drive using IMG tags?
see if simple image upload plugin helps for MyBB 1.6.16
" All images are stored on third party image hosting service and bbcode for images is automatically inserted in posts when users upload images. Thumbnails are automatically created on image hosting server. This mod is very easy to install and very easy to use."
--------------------

This is precisely what I am trying to avoid.

I can understand why typical forum discourages users from posting gigabytes of pics on hosting servers.

I do NOT have that problem, and expect only a modest user base, and I *want* them to be able to directly post pics. In fact, for one of my planned forums it will be essential.

Some users have pics they would like to share from their own sites, but the sites have .htaccess preventing hot linking. Yes, ATTACHMENTS can be used, but they are butt ugly for presenting graphics.

I was so hoping to avoid Drupal for a function so simple as a forum. It is a bloody beast I would like to avoid.
(Can it be bridged as a sub-forum???)

Also: Have any WYSIWG editors been perfected for 1.6.16?
I see a few posted, but almost every one has had some bugs, and frankly have no clue as to the least troublesome.