MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Integrate JW Player in MyBB 1.8.5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Kindly integrate latest version of JW Player in MyBB 1.8.5 to play self-hosted videos.
Sorry, but this won't be implemented within the 1.8.5 release, or 1.8 for that matter. 1.8 has already been (for the most part) feature locked, and so this suggestion is a bit too late on that front.

In addition, JWPlayer is a largely paid product. If anything, we'd likely use a lightweight library to just serve HTML5-based video, and not deal with the bulk of serving both Flash or HTML5.
JWPlayer does have a free version, but I'm not sure MyBB can implement the non-commercial version. That's something that probably needs to be discussed between MyBB staff and JWPlayer staff. The way it needs to be implemented looks like an Enterprise-level price (which would require MyBB contacting JWPlayer) since it will be considered "integration & reselling" granting MyBB a license to integrate and provide JWPlayer within MyBB. I think MyBB should stick with providing support for YouTube and other streaming service players. YouTube is free and can handle the heavy bandwidth. Most webmasters here on the other hand, may not have that luxury. Let's be honest here, there aren't very many enterprise-level companies with webmasters picking up MyBB. When's the last time you actually went to a Fortune 500 company with a message board and recognized the board as a MyBB product or "Powered by MyBB" branding? Now, how many times have you come across one of the top 3 paid forum software competitors? YouTube embedding support would be better for both webmasters and MyBB. (If there are other similar streaming competitors, it'd be nice to include those as well and allow the MyBB administrator chose their primary provider). Just a thought.
what problem in use mycode and HTML5 only?

something below

Regular Expression:

\[webm\](.*?)\[/webm\]

Replacement:

<video controls>
  <source src="$1" type="video/mp4">
  <source src="$1" type="video/ogg">
  <source src="$1" type="video/webm">
Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

in global.css add something below:

video {
	max-width: 560px;
}
Although I'm supportive of this suggestion, but I'm unsure how it's gong to be used in the forum?
Oh I could try that .. thank you ! It will not work on my site because I do not need video I need audio for mp3 because this is an ebook site with audiobooks
(2015-07-28, 06:07 PM)Starnova Wrote: [ -> ]Oh I could try that .. thank you ! It will not work on my site because I do not need video I need audio for mp3 because this is an ebook site with audiobooks

for MP3 here http://community.mybb.com/thread-48019-p...pid1170911
(2015-05-03, 11:58 PM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]JWPlayer does have a free version, but I'm not sure MyBB can implement the non-commercial version. That's something that probably needs to be discussed between MyBB staff and JWPlayer staff. The way it needs to be implemented looks like an Enterprise-level price (which would require MyBB contacting JWPlayer) since it will be considered "integration & reselling" granting MyBB a license to integrate and provide JWPlayer within MyBB. I think MyBB should stick with providing support for YouTube and other streaming service players. YouTube is free and can handle the heavy bandwidth. Most webmasters here on the other hand, may not have that luxury. Let's be honest here, there aren't very many enterprise-level companies with webmasters picking up MyBB. When's the last time you actually went to a Fortune 500 company with a message board and recognized the board as a MyBB product or "Powered by MyBB" branding? Now, how many times have you come across one of the top 3 paid forum software competitors? YouTube embedding support would be better for both webmasters and MyBB. (If there are other similar streaming competitors, it'd be nice to include those as well and allow the MyBB administrator chose their primary provider). Just a thought.

I am not a fortune 500 bod, just Joe Public who wants to put his own self hosted stuff on his site. There are a number of add ons / plug ins for other programmes that do this. "Dreamweaver" and "Web Stunning" for example.
(2015-12-12, 03:26 PM)Inafix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-03, 11:58 PM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]JWPlayer does have a free version, but I'm not sure MyBB can implement the non-commercial version. That's something that probably needs to be discussed between MyBB staff and JWPlayer staff. The way it needs to be implemented looks like an Enterprise-level price (which would require MyBB contacting JWPlayer) since it will be considered "integration & reselling" granting MyBB a license to integrate and provide JWPlayer within MyBB. I think MyBB should stick with providing support for YouTube and other streaming service players. YouTube is free and can handle the heavy bandwidth. Most webmasters here on the other hand, may not have that luxury. Let's be honest here, there aren't very many enterprise-level companies with webmasters picking up MyBB. When's the last time you actually went to a Fortune 500 company with a message board and recognized the board as a MyBB product or "Powered by MyBB" branding? Now, how many times have you come across one of the top 3 paid forum software competitors? YouTube embedding support would be better for both webmasters and MyBB. (If there are other similar streaming competitors, it'd be nice to include those as well and allow the MyBB administrator chose their primary provider). Just a thought.

I am not a fortune 500 bod, just Joe Public who wants to put his own self hosted stuff on his site. There are a number of add ons / plug ins for other programmes that do this. "Dreamweaver" and "Web Stunning" for example.

First, hosting any music or videos is bandwidth intensive. The higher the quality, the heavier the usage of bandwidth it is when you have people playing the video over HTTP/HTTPS. If you can afford it, good for you. You'll only be one of the very small few that would be able to. MyBB is best left to using existing streaming services like YouTube as their core feature for embedding media. YouTube can afford it, it's owned by Google. They're so big and wealthy that they can afford to pay for TB of bandwidth usage from their ISP, Google even encourages people to use YouTube for all their video streaming needs. You, on the other hand, would not be able to afford to purchase the amount of bandwidth Google has access to. Like you said, you're just Joe Public.

Second, the original poster was asking for JW Player to be integrated into MyBB. There are licensing issues to consider and deal with and it would require the MyBB Group to communicate with the JW Player company. At the time of posting, the licensing requirement to redistribute JW Player was enterprise-level licensing, hence why I referenced "Fortune 500" companies later when discussing bandwidth and the audience that MyBB actually has. The licensing price for JW Player still required contact with the JW Player team to figure out a way to redistribute JW Player in a free, open-source forum software.

Third, yes there are a number of add-ons / plug ins. Addons and plugins are just that; They're not core features, which is what the original poster was asking for.

Forth, I don't know why you're bringing up Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is proprietary software by Adobe which you download and install. Now it's subscription based and still a download and install. You run the program locally and not in a web browser over HTTP/HTTPS. MyBB is processed by a server running Apache or IIS to serve the pages, PHP to process the PHP files, and MySQL (Maria DB on newer Linux distribution versions), PostgreSQL, or SQLite to store the information for retrieval by the pages when requested. You're better off comparing MyBB to vBulletin, Invision Power Board, phpBB, etc. If you can find a forum software that integrated JW Player successfully, without licensing issues, feel free to point that forum software out.

If you still want to self-host media and share via your installation of MyBB, despite the warnings of media files being bandwidth intensive, request a plugin that adds a flash player for self-hosted media in the Plugin Requests section of the forum [here] or add a custom BBCode using HTML5 as the HTML source.
Check [audio] and [video] pages for the HTML5 tags. I'm pretty sure the BBCode has been discussed before somewhere on here, probably as a tutorial. But I really don't want to add yet another URL BBCode to this post.
Thank you for your very thorough response. I have been looking at Word Press and so far I have been surprised at the variety of options available for playing self hosted video.
Word Press also has a Forum plugin/module/add on. I will have to look further as there is so much available.
Thank you again.
Pages: 1 2