MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions Before I Merge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have some questions before I merge, I was reading the info here http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/merge/running/ and it generated a bunch of questions.

My site is currently phpbb 3.0.12 is it compatible for the merge?

My site currently has over 50k attachments how will they be handled during the merge, currently PHPBB stores ALL the attachments in one folder and this creates many problems when it comes time to move these files most methods cant deal with or even see more than 9998 files in a single directory, after the merge will the attachments be in a single directory? The biggest reason why I want to get away from PHPBB is the PHPBB team could care less about the problem of having ALL the attachments in one folder.

During the "Dry Run" Testing" will ANY files be changed on my current site including the Database, I want to try out MYBB and allow my users to kick the tires before making the move.

I have a bunch more questions but I think they will answer their self during the merge.

Please answer these 3 questions before I invest a day or more trying to merge Smile

I will be downloading and installing MyBB 1.8 while waiting for the merge answers.

Thanks in advance.
your phpBB forum version is compatible for the MyBB Merge system and it can be easily converted.
phpBB attachments are converted to MyBB system and there should be no problem with them.
MyBB Merge system doesn't do any changes to your phpBB files and if required you can switch back to phpBB system

see also replies at PHPBB 3.1.3 to MYBB
(2015-05-17, 02:53 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]your phpBB forum version is compatible for the MyBB Merge system and it can be easily converted.
phpBB attachments are converted to MyBB system and there should be no problem with them.
MyBB Merge system doesn't do any changes to your phpBB files and if required you can switch back to phpBB system

see also replies at PHPBB 3.1.3 to MYBB

After I merge will the phpbb site still run and still be useable?

Thanks
^ yes. you have to use a separate folder for MyBB forum installation and use the Merge system
The merge system doesn't change anything on your phpBB installation so it'll work afterwards without problems.

About the attachments: By default the merge system moves 10 attachments per page (to avoid timeouts etc). With 50k attachments it may take some time to move all of them but you shouldn't see any issues caused by the amount of your attachments.