MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: APC or MEMCACHED?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which one works best for MyBB? I have both of them. Not sure which one, i used memcached which worked best for IPS.. But MyBB? Hmm.
I think new versions of php 5.5+ comes packaged with its own cache, opcache.
Yeah, the opcode cache is slightly different. It stores precompiled byte code of a PHP script in memory, meaning the PHP script doesn't need to be parsed on every load - thus seeing it up. The data cache is used for different reasons, such as loading forums, permissions, etc.

@OP: It depends really. APC (or APCu as it's now known) is generally the better option unless you need to distribute the cache across servers (e.g.: if you're using loadbalancers). If you do need to have shared cache state across several servers, choose Memcached.

tl;dr: use APC in most cases. People who need Memcached tend to know that's the case Smile
I noticed delay using APC (20ms).

I think I'll stick to memcached.
That's strange, I can't say I've ever noticed that. It's always been just as fast, if not faster, as memcached and a significant performance boost compared to file/database cache.