MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Add spoiler BACK!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is in nearly all forum softwares that I'm aware of and used:
- IP.Board 3.4 & 4.0
- PHPBB
- SMF
- vBulletin
- XenForo

And it was on MyBB Before, where has this gone? It's one of the most common must have forum softwares. I don't want to install any third party stuff to get this!
You can just use MyCode to get it back, without plugin.
I feel that this should be included in the core. Many many forums install this once they've got their board set up.
(2015-05-25, 07:57 PM)Akay Wrote: [ -> ]You can just use MyCode to get it back, without plugin.

Sorry, but why just not remove all of them if they are going to make us make custom MyCode for something so default? It's like removing bold, or colors..
It was never included in MyBB. There were always plugins or tutorials for it but it was never in the core.

We will rediscuss (and likely include the community) which BBCodes are missing and which can be removed for 2.0.
(2015-05-25, 08:15 PM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]It was never included in MyBB. There were always plugins or tutorials for it but it was never in the core.

We will rediscuss (and likely include the community) which BBCodes are missing and which can be removed for 2.0.

Wow! That's crazy, adding a disable option wouldn't hurt. I rather not have any removed, but i rather have options to easily disable or enable.
If we'd go with that attitude we'd never finish 2.0... It'll be discussed and if 99 of 100 users say "We don't use BBCode xy" we'll remove BBCode xy...
I am of the opinion that a spoiler MyCode is not something that adds value to the majority of forums and therefore should remain as a plugin or something administrators setup themselves.
(2015-05-25, 08:53 PM)Will P Wrote: [ -> ]I am of the opinion that a spoiler MyCode is not something that adds value to the majority of forums and therefore should remain as a plugin or something administrators setup themselves.

I disagree with that Will. I've seen many forums using spoilers to break up large threads into sections and subsections. Personally, I've used the spoiler MyCode in every site I've developed.
(2015-05-25, 09:00 PM)Ben C Wrote: [ -> ]I disagree with that Will. I've seen many forums using spoilers to break up large threads into sections and subsections. Personally, I've used the spoiler MyCode in every site I've developed.

Sure, but then I have only ever used the spoiler tag on one forum I owned and one forum I was a member of. Neither my or your experiences are representative of global demand for a spoiler tag so the way I try and think about it is as follows.

Spoiler tags are useful for a subset of forums, they are not useful to every single forum we can probably accept that as fact, a spoiler tag is not like a ban feature or the ability to moderate posts. So then the question becomes, will a spoiler tag be valuable to a significant majority (~70-100%) of forums that will install MyBB 2.0? My instinct is no, but very happy to be proved wrong on that one.

The second thing I consider is whether or not the feature will be able to be as effective as a plugin as it would be in the core. For example, it would be a lot of work and more difficult to write moderation functionality as a plugin than in the core, that's kind of an unreasonable burden to place upon the community. Whereas a spoiler tag feature is not difficult to implement and is no better as part of the core than apart from it. It requires no special knowledge or complexity that only the MyBB developers can provide.
Pages: 1 2