MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Maximum Signature Size in Dimensions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Feel that this would make things a lot easier. Administrators should be given the option of restricting signature size in dimensions or how it currently is, KB.
Wow, i agree. I'm really shocked that this is not default!!
This assumes that signatures are always images, which they are not always. So really what you're suggesting is the ability to restrict the dimensions of any images that appear in signatures? Through some kind of editor?
Yeah, sorry.

Could only come into effect if the image bbcode is used.
(2015-05-25, 08:38 PM)Ben C Wrote: [ -> ]Could only come into effect if the image bbcode is used.

So there's probably two ways of getting an image into the signature:

- Use the upload feature of the editor.
- Copy the URL into some MyCode.

If it's uploaded through the editor, we could probably do some checking there on dimensions depending on what the editor is and how easy it is to implement.

But what about the second example? What if someone pastes a URL into some MyCode for the image? Should your forum download the image from the URL and check the dimensions of it on the server?
They are probably the best way to deal with this. Preferably the administrator would be able to configure a maximum width and height in the Admin CP. If it's within the restrictions specified, leave it. If it's over resize to the maximum dimensions specified?
What I'm getting at is that in order to enforce dimension constraints in signatures, you need to do it in two places, the editor for uploading images directly and the parser for dealing with URLs that MyBB will have to download and assess the dimensions.

This does not sound like something MyBB should be doing to me. Making URL calls to an arbitrary server in order to measure dimensions sounds like a security risk.
Quote:This does not sound like something MyBB should be doing to me. Making URL calls to an arbitrary server in order to measure dimensions sounds like a security risk.

It shouldn't be if we're not trying to execute the file. We just need to ensure it's an image (something we already will have to do for uploads too). Plus, we'll have to do this for the HTTPS proxy if we plan to support HTTPS properly and still allow images to be posted.
I'm more in favor of wrapping a signature in either a div or span tag and using CSS to control the size. I feel if you are going to run a forum, you should at bare minimum know HTML and CSS on a basic level.
(2015-05-25, 09:31 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]I'm more in favor of wrapping a signature in either a div or span tag and using CSS to control the size.  I feel if you are going to run a forum, you should at bare minimum know HTML and CSS on a basic level.

That's also my usual approach, and it tends to be a lot neater I feel.