MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Get a forum.example.come URL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on how this is done? Currently when I navigate to my forum I get then by visiting 'example.com', but I would like to move it to 'forum.example.com' so I can turn 'example.com' into a landing page.

Thanks
You would simply have to create/move the forum to a sub-domain. If it's a pre-installed forum, head to Configuration and edit your site details to the correct settings for the sub-domain created in the hosting cPanwl.
If you have access to cPanel, then what Wires suggested will work.

The manual way things work (or if you want a slightly deeper understanding of what cPanel does behind the scenes):

A forum.example.com ser.ver.ip added as a DNS record. A is the type, forum.example.com is the host, ser.ver.ip is the server's IP address that forum.example.com should resolve to.

Apache/Nginx webserver VirtualHost that listens for a hostname/domain of forum.example.com, and serves the files from your forum root with PHP as the handler of PHP files, in the same way as example.com's configuration would, except perhaps with your forum's files moved to another respective directory.
In terms of DNS, this would work:

example.com A ip.address.of.server
forum.example.com CNAME example.com

Etc etc etc. By doing a CNAME, you only have to modify one record when you move the entire site.
(2015-05-26, 12:13 AM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]You would simply have to create/move the forum to a sub-domain. If it's a pre-installed forum, head to Configuration and edit your site details to the correct settings for the sub-domain created in the hosting cPanwl.

This here will work, make a sub domain and move the files over and it should work. You'll need to apply some minor changes as said.
There are two approaches if you do not want to use domain.com

1. forum.example. com - which is a sub domain that you can set from domain control panel ( ie, using login provided by company from which is you bought the name )

2. example.com/forum. - which is a folder inside root. Can be set using login provided by hosting company.

Good luck.