MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Infraction Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I don't see how this would be needed. Why not just have a section in the mod cp for this which mods can search on Author and the person who is warned?
(2015-05-30, 05:24 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]I imagine the fid would be configurable to place these new threads in?

It would be pretty strange for it not to be configurable.
(2015-05-30, 05:26 PM)Ben C Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see how this would be needed. Why not just have a section in the mod cp for this which mods can search on Author and the person who is warned?

because it'll hardly get used.

trust me, I've ran 3 big boards at once and the mod cp doesn't get used nearly enough.
(2015-05-30, 05:27 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-30, 05:26 PM)Ben C Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see how this would be needed. Why not just have a section in the mod cp for this which mods can search on Author and the person who is warned?

because it'll hardly get used.

trust me, I've ran 3 big boards at once and the mod cp doesn't get used nearly enough.

Yes, the Mod CP doesn't get used enough because there is not enough information stored in it. Mods should be able to view the mod cp and see anything from recently deleted threads & posts to a section to show all infractions with filter ability.

That is exactly what I mentioned above as an alternative, but it's also useful to be able to discuss infractions, reports, etc. Once you start adding all of that, you're basically replicating the features the core forums have.
@Ben C: Don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't seem you have a lot of experience in big board management. Communication between staff is key for a board to be successful. Making threads automatically generated ensures communication can occur. Looking up infraction history still only tells you what warning a user received and the reason which may or may not be adequate and further discussion is not readily available.

I feel it is a good practice to have a good explanation of this is why the warning was given. This helps in case the member doesn't agree with it and decides to contact an admin. If we don't have discussion about why the warning was given, only an educated guess could be made. If it isn't clear, then you need to discuss the situation with the moderator who issued it to see why.

From my experience, I'd rather have a configurable forum for the thread to get posted in then going to the Mod CP and review the log. This can work with forum subscriptions so you can get notifications of a new thread being posted. I can tell you that when I helped take care of a forum with over 1 million posts, I certainly wouldn't look at the warning log on a regular basis. I'd do it just once a month when evaluating the moderators I was in charge of unless I member had a complaint and appealed to me.

I would rather have reports and warnings all done as threads inside a configurable forum than a place in the Moderator CP. The way I always browse forums is all staff content first because key information about a thread, user, project, etc. might be available and change how you would handle certain situations in your assigned areas. After that I'll go through my assigned areas and also start discussions in them if I can think of a good topic to discuss.
(2015-05-31, 01:46 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]@Ben C: Don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't seem you have a lot of experience in big board management.  Communication between staff is key for a board to be successful.  Making threads automatically generated ensures communication can occur.  Looking up infraction history still only tells you what warning a user received and the reason which may or may not be adequate and further discussion is not readily available.  

I feel it is a good practice to have a good explanation of this is why the warning was given.  This helps in case the member doesn't agree with it and decides to contact an admin.  If we don't have discussion about why the warning was given, only an educated guess could be made.  If it isn't clear, then you need to discuss the situation with the moderator who issued it to see why.

From my experience, I'd rather have a configurable forum for the thread to get posted in then going to the Mod CP and review the log.  This can work with forum subscriptions so you can get notifications of a new thread being posted.  I can tell you that when I helped take care of a forum with over 1 million posts, I certainly wouldn't look at the warning log on a regular basis.  I'd do it just once a month when evaluating the moderators I was in charge of unless I member had a complaint and appealed to me.

I would rather have reports and warnings all done as threads inside a configurable forum than a place in the Moderator CP.   The way I always browse forums is all staff content first because key information about a thread, user, project, etc. might be available and change how you would handle certain situations in your assigned areas.  After that I'll go through my assigned areas and also start discussions in them if I can think of a good topic to discuss.

Not taken the wrong way at all. I completely disagree with this. If you have a big forum you could have new threads been posted every couple of minutes. Again, I don't see why every single moderator would need to know when a user is warned, if they raise a query about it the moderator could create a thread IF needed or like myself and Euan suggested eairler we could add comments onto the warning system for it to be discussed easier. That could then notify all staff of when a comment was added to a report.
(2015-05-31, 01:46 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]<snip>

I would rather have reports and warnings all done as threads inside a configurable forum than a place in the Moderator CP. The way I always browse forums is all staff content first because key information about a thread, user, project, etc. might be available and change how you would handle certain situations in your assigned areas. After that I'll go through my assigned areas and also start discussions in them if I can think of a good topic to discuss.

This ^^^

This mod in the link does that exact thing on MyBb 1.6.x
http://mods.mybb.com/view/advreports
advReports
This will allow you to have your board create an automatic thread when a report or warning is made.

*report forum(s) would be staff accessible only.
(2015-05-31, 01:46 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]@Ben C: Don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't seem you have a lot of experience in big board management.  Communication between staff is key for a board to be successful.  Making threads automatically generated ensures communication can occur.  Looking up infraction history still only tells you what warning a user received and the reason which may or may not be adequate and further discussion is not readily available.  

I feel it is a good practice to have a good explanation of this is why the warning was given.  This helps in case the member doesn't agree with it and decides to contact an admin.  If we don't have discussion about why the warning was given, only an educated guess could be made.  If it isn't clear, then you need to discuss the situation with the moderator who issued it to see why.

From my experience, I'd rather have a configurable forum for the thread to get posted in then going to the Mod CP and review the log.  This can work with forum subscriptions so you can get notifications of a new thread being posted.  I can tell you that when I helped take care of a forum with over 1 million posts, I certainly wouldn't look at the warning log on a regular basis.  I'd do it just once a month when evaluating the moderators I was in charge of unless I member had a complaint and appealed to me.

I would rather have reports and warnings all done as threads inside a configurable forum than a place in the Moderator CP.   The way I always browse forums is all staff content first because key information about a thread, user, project, etc. might be available and change how you would handle certain situations in your assigned areas.  After that I'll go through my assigned areas and also start discussions in them if I can think of a good topic to discuss.

+1...makes it so much easier to properly discuss issues at hand.
I could see the Mod CP providing links to the staff-only discussion thread about the report (extending the "Report Center" in the Mod CP), but to have a full discussion center in the Mod CP would be unnecessary when it might just end up looking like another forum (as others have pointed out).

+1 to automated thread creation in a configured forum.
Pages: 1 2 3