MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum level email subscription options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Feature Suggestion/Enhancement:
Option in Forum options to control member Email Subscription options

Provide an option for forums when configuring them in admin CP:

* Forced subscription - All members are subscribed to all threads in this forum
* Initially subscribed - Members are initially subscribed to all new threads in forum
* Initially unsubscribed - Members are initially unsubscribed to all new threads in forum
* No subscription - Members cannot subscribe to threads in this forum

Expected functionality

A pull-down option in the options for a forum to allow admins to set default options for a forum would be very helpful. A simple pull-down is all that is needed on the interface side.

Any additional notes
Thanks for soliciting suggestions! That's cool.

We use MyBB for a community forum for a homeowners association. But many smaller and especially closed groups, especially those with boards of directors, would greatly benefit by being able to guarantee that all members receive posts to certain forums.

For example, for organizations, posting to a "Board announcements" forum should send an email to everyone, guaranteed. There aren't many cases where the forum admins would want to be sure that an email got sent to all members, but there are a few, and having this capability in myBB would mean that we wouldn't have to send a separate email to all in our community (which is what we currently have to to - send an email that ... uh ... points to the forum!)

I've considered switching to Moodle for this functionality, as it has the capability to control subscriptions to forums at this level. It lacks other features, and has other features as well, as a "forum" is just one small (and not very generally implemented) feature that it can do.
I would like to note that I managed to implement this feature in 1.8 using a custom profile field, and some database triggers. It's gross! But it works! I had to hardwire the custom profile fields to my particular forum IDs though, which is part of what makes it so gross.

It would be VERY nice for users to be able to subscribe to a forum (rather than subscribing to specific threads) at least. Even if the Admin CP can't force a user to subscribe to a particular forum.