MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Profile Comments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I don't want this to be a plugin. It would be better if it was core. The problem with letting such big opportunities/features becoming plugins is that they sometimes go for months and years without updating. And the biggest advantage of this WIDELY USED (14 recommendations, 2.6k downloads) feature being core is that creating MyBB themes would be easier - because currently theme developers have to check the MyProfile plugin and build their theme around unfamiliar code, and updating third party plugins can sometimes break themes. 

Let's also not forget that every big forum software has a system like this.
This should be standard.
+1
It would be nice as a plugin, in my opinion. On the one hand it would be useful because it leads users to know each other better, but on the other hand it could happen that they would use only the comments on the profile and no longer new threads Big Grin

With comments on the profile MyBB is  a little more "modern", but need see if it is worth spending time and resources (too heavy for MyBB?). If it's a small feature then in the core it would be perfect.
(2015-06-06, 05:26 PM)mikeh Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want this to be a plugin. It would be better if it was core. The problem with letting such big opportunities/features becoming plugins is that they sometimes go for months and years without updating. And the biggest advantage of this WIDELY USED (14 recommendations, 2.6k downloads) feature being core is that creating MyBB themes would be easier - because currently theme developers have to check the MyProfile plugin and build their theme around unfamiliar code, and updating third party plugins can sometimes break themes. 

Let's also not forget that every big forum software has a system like this.

And those "big forum software" is attempting to turn their forum into Facebook. Profile comments are not a must-have for a forum and I think it should be left as a plugin, perhaps a MyBB-developed optional plugin. Personally, I never use the profile comment section on ANY forum that uses it. It's not where the main content is, so why would I bother scoping out someones profile and read their comments?

(2015-08-23, 12:45 PM)niere8 Wrote: [ -> ]It would be nice as a plugin, in my opinion. On the one hand it would be useful because it leads users to know each other better, but on the other hand it could happen that they would use only the comments on the profile and no longer new threads Big Grin

With comments on the profile MyBB is  a little more "modern", but need see if it is worth spending time and resources (too heavy for MyBB?). If it's a small feature then in the core it would be perfect.
You can usually get to know each other just through posting in threads with other people. I can learn a lot from someone just through interacting in the same thread. The profile comment system doesn't exactly make this interaction new. It just copies that ability to the profile. Also, as I've said on other forums, it takes away from the Private Messaging system, another way to interact with someone to get to know them.

Honestly, this push to make forums act like Facebook is getting intense. Pretty soon, the forum part will be the dying part of every message board cause everything that's thread-worthy is being posting in profile comments instead all in the name of "getting to know someone". I'd like to see this remain as a plugin to encourage the use of the actual forum. MyBB doesn't need to be just like all the other "big forum software" it just needs to be different and better, otherwise, it's just coat-tailing software.
yes improving in this i think necessary too.
Though I have no problem with profile comments, I think they should stay as a plugin.
I don't get what's wrong with the profile comments? Okay, that's are not something that a forum REALLY needs, but let's be honest, it's a very cool feature that allows people to get in touch (yea there are PMs already, but that's a different way). I support it as a core feature, maybe give the possibility to enable/disable them
No one has given any reason for having profile comments that isn't covered by PMs between two or more participants and public topics in the forum.
In the social media era people often do 'private' conversations publicly. That's probably the reason.

I want my users to focus on public discussions so I would turned off this feature.
(2015-08-26, 10:11 AM)Adriano Wrote: [ -> ]In the social media era people often do 'private' conversations publicly. That's probably the reason.

How is a 'public private conversation' different from a thread in a public forum?
Pages: 1 2 3