MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Expand "select forums"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have plenty of forums, and it's really hard to get a overview of them all when example.. adding prefixes, i hope to see a better way (or let us expand the select forums, or let us expand it)

[Image: Gakh5z5.png]
How about an autocomplete search field?
That would cause issues with forums which have the same name.
I personally dislike the new 1.8 forumselect/groupselect fields. At least their inconsistency in usage very annoys me. For example, why do I need to jump between tabs just to change different profile details permissions of a group? Website/signature options are in Edit Group as checkboxes (which is fine - they're in one place together with other group options), but contact fields such as ICQ were added to global forum settings for some reason I will never understand. Thus, after you add each new group, you need to remember to change also all groupselects which may be scattered all over the ACP. Same applies to forums and forumselects. If you forget to change one, you may end up with unintended behavior.

That's why I think that everything regarding a group/forum should be moved under group/forum options. Profile field permissions, custom moderator tool permissions/forums, purge spammer permission, etc. And before anyone says that having groupselect/forumselect options can save time too in case you want to change only that specific setting - well, nothing stops us from having both mass selection and a checkbox under a specific group/forum.
(2015-06-02, 10:54 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]That would cause issues with forums which have the same name.

How?
Glad to see that someone else here is agreeing, anything else than this is better. There isn't even any expand option now :/
(2015-06-02, 03:45 PM)Will P Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-02, 10:54 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]That would cause issues with forums which have the same name.

How?

If you have two forums that are both called "Support" that are in different categories, how would an autocomplete search field know which Support forum you want to select? You would have to specify the category as well.

I agree with Destroy, I'd prefer to see all of the forum and group settings and option under the manage forum/group pages. Right now, it's kind of a round about process to hook into those pages for plugins adding new options, so if that could be streamlined for plugin developers, that would be great.
(2015-06-03, 12:14 AM)jshort Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-02, 03:45 PM)Will P Wrote: [ -> ]

How?

If you have two forums that are both called "Support" that are in different categories, how would an autocomplete search field know which Support forum you want to select? You would have to specify the category as well.

It would show both in this format:

Category A > Support
Category B > Support
Even including the category somehow may not work if you have two categories named equally with the same subforum.