MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Actually Enable User Registration Through Email
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I seem to have encountered a weird bug (possibly brain fart) where I simply cannot get the email activation setting to work. 

I have chosen "Send email verification" under "Registration Method" but the system acts as if I had chosen "Administrator Activation." I have tried to register accounts on my own forums  with multiple emails (checking trash, spam folders, other tabs in gmail) but I have never once gotten a verification email. I get the notifications that users are awaiting activation because I have enabled the notifications, but shouldn't these notifications be compatible with an email verification stem? Why isn't this working?

Accounts only seem to register when I do it through the admin cp.

Any help would be appreciated!

[attachment=34390]
exactly which version of MyBB you are using ? can we have your forum url ..

have you checked System Mail Log available at tools & maintenance section of forum admin panel ?
wow, thank you for your super fast reply! sorry about my delay (lost my login info).

We are currently running MyBB 1.8.4 (haven't upgraded yet).

Forum URL: http://forum.thejetcoaster.com/

checked tools & maintenance section and only one single error about a facebook plugin we have (generated today).
OK, I did more testing.

- "Send email verification" does nothing and does not send an email. Instead, it actually acts as if it's set on "Administrator Activation"

- "Send Random Password" sends nothing, and the notification doesn't even appear for the admin to activate anyone.

- "Administrator Activation" acts as it's supposed to.

- "Instant Activation" acts as its supposed to.

-----

Again, I would very much like to put my boards' setting on "Send email verification" so that they have that 2-step activation in place and it verifies their email without the admins having to do anything.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
^ which type of mail system you are using for the forum (php / smtp) & who is the mail service provider ?
I wondered about this issue also, but some members do confirm their emails. I've turned off guests and view board for all non-confirmed users to ensure that people can't view the forum until they have confirmed their email addresses.

My guess is some users pre-reg and have a look around without the need to confirm their registration, but I have had a couple of people say they are waiting for email confirmation..not sure how true this is.

Mybb 1.8.5
php mail
(2015-06-15, 05:27 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ which type of mail system you are using for the forum (php / smtp) & who is the mail service provider ?

i am using php. the mail service provider only shows up if i switch it to smtp (and i would try that route, but i have no idea how to set this up). has php mail been an issue for others?

(2015-06-15, 09:06 PM)Anthony Williams Wrote: [ -> ]I wondered about this issue also, but some members do confirm their emails. I've turned off guests and view board for all non-confirmed users to ensure that people can't view the forum until they have confirmed their email addresses.

My guess is some users pre-reg and have a look around without the need to confirm their registration, but I have had a couple of people say they are waiting for email confirmation..not sure how true this is.

Mybb 1.8.5
php mail

i have tried this myself but i haven't got a single email anywhere.
can you check mail test

if you need direct help & if you can wait for a day, you may PM me temporary access to forum admin panel & files (FTP)
edit.. sorry my mistake