MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Feedback to the planned conversations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks for the announcement post about the 2.0 features.

I'd like to give the development team a small feedback to the planned conversations PM system.

While I like the option to have conversations that allow for multiple participants, I'd like to ask for an option to turn this feature off in ACP or allow it for certain groups only.
The reason for this issue is my fear that a lot of things that are at the moment discussed in public threads might be discussed in private conversations in the future if this functionality does exist. There are MyBB forums where I am okay with that but there are some others where this would cause heavy issues for the public content creation.
I believe that people will start to discuss in small PM groups instead of the forum sections. I'd like to prevent that.

The same works for the group based conversations. I'm using an Admin forum for staff discussions at the moment for example. The new system makes this obsolete but could cause issues (what about former staff, what about future staff members etc).

So please give us the option to deactivate or limit these new functionalities. Thanks.
Hi,

As with MyBB 1.x, everything is controllable through both group permissions and through board settings. You can, for example, limit the number of people who can be involved in a conversation on a per-group basis (so for normal members you could set a limit of 2 participants to have it act as the current PM system does).

We haven't yet talked much about the permissions or settings systems, but we will be doing so in future development posts as we've simplified permissions somewhat (and the way they're displayed in the ACP is vastly improved).
Hello Euan, I'm aware of the MyBB 1.X possibilities, I just want to make sure we will keep these options with 2.0.
Conversations in 2.0 are so similar to threads (as far as I can tell from the screenshots yet) that we will need these options badly.
(2015-06-06, 03:37 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Euan, I'm aware of the MyBB 1.X possibilities, I just want to make sure we will keep these options with 2.0.
Conversations in 2.0 are so similar to threads (as far as I can tell from the screenshots yet) that we will need these options badly.

Hi,

Conversations are fairly similar to threads, and are aimed to make it easier to follow the flow of communication within private messages. We're aiming to keep the forum as customisable as 1.x is though to give people plenty of options about how they run their forums.