MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Where to learn coding?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Particularly web codes.

I want to move on to PHP especially, because it seems to be able to do great things like API for integration.

I've even see games are made, which is cool. Heart
  • Where did you get your coding knowledge from?
    No, I don't need exact address. Online/offline? If online, can share me the address (URL!)?
  • Is it free?
    Hmm, it's great to be free. Otherwise, reasonable cost should be fine too.
  • How much time do I need per day for learning, and total time to master?
    My time is very limited, many planned things to be done.
  • After mastered, will I be able to do great things like... create my own forum software?
    No, I don't bother. I'll probably create my own game.
  • If no, will I at least able to create plugins?
    I'd be glad to see satisfactory comments.
Quote:Where did you get your coding knowledge from?

I study independently. Use php.net frequently when you are looking for a specific function. I also look through code and work to understand it.

Quote:Is it free?

Yes it is a free resource.

Quote:How much time do I need per day for learning, and total time to master?[/qupte]

There is a lot to learn. Try to devote at least 1-2 hours per day toward learning. Mastering it takes a long time because of how many functions there are.

[quote]After mastered, will I be able to do great things like... create my own forum software?

As long as you know html as well, you technically could. I've done it, but I never released it publicly.

Quote:If no, will I at least able to create plugins?

Yes. Try and familiarize yourself with the MyBB codebase. It is easy to study it on Github.
PHP used to be great for APIs but well it's kinda eh nowadays but worth knowing for the next few years.

In real for your first language you should choose something you can prototype rather quickly in out having to basically do the whole ignore learning technique like you have to do with well Java etc.

Basically the thing with those languages is that you have to ignore most of the functionalities with them when you first start then have to try to stop with the habit of ignoring and try to learn them.

Python basically forces you to write readable code which is a good thing, it's really easy to setup unlike other language say PHP which you will notice in the later end will become a pain to test etc.

Specially for your own game, PHP isn't good at those things without huge hinders and you shouldn't focus on that to start off with.

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/ if you want to learn the basics of Python.
By the way, you want to download Python 2.7 not 3, get Sublime text after installing that, remember on the python installer to press the little add to path on the feature screen.

Then when you have sublime basically just make a new file, call it (something you want to name it).py save it, write
print 'Hello world'

and press ctrl + B to see if it works, it should show you a log of what has happened and say "Hello world".
If it doesn't work http://lo.lf.ag/s/69c434f798.png do that and try, remember googling the errors is more effiecient than asking and then waiting.

Now what you want to do is install https://packagecontrol.io/installation ( open the cmd like, http://lo.lf.ag/s/286b8b9fa9.png )

Now install jedi it will help you along the way http://lo.lf.ag/s/0a7ebd3608.mp4 if you need help.

And test your way forward, also a good way to learn is to look at others code and try to rewrite it, not copy paste basically like you look at their code and then close it then you try to recreate it and if you get stuck you look at it again but never copy pasting, it will give you a mindset of how stuff is written.

Same goes with PHP but it's a bit harder to start up but it's good to start with a simple language that you can understand before moving onto something that is kinda "eh..." in how it's made to work.
Have you tried taking a look at Tree House?
(2015-06-08, 09:33 AM)Rakes Wrote: [ -> ]Specially for your own game, PHP isn't good at those things without huge hinders and you shouldn't focus on that to start off with.

Hehe, these are the advantages:
  • light and convenient
    users no need software requirements to use, and can use it if website is responsive
  • trustworthy than softwares
    It's just a website, surely no virus. I don't need to beg you or download.com to list my software there.
  • more potentiality
    I can create any websites I want, and do those cool APIs
I've mastered HTML

Quote:And test your way forward, also a good way to learn is to look at others code and try to rewrite it, not copy paste basically like you look at their code and then close it then you try to recreate it and if you get stuck you look at it again but never copy pasting, it will give you a mindset of how stuff is written.
I'm currently have HTML and CSS knowledge, but the problem is I can't create a nice website with it, even a landing page can't. Sad
Could it because I didn't learn properly and I need to restart from HTML/CSS again until I can create a beautiful landing page?
(2015-07-03, 06:28 PM)shopnohinworld Wrote: [ -> ]hi, if you want to learn web design coding then goto w3schools here you can learn about professional web design

No. No. Please no. That site is so far out of date and noncompliant with modern standards.

As for me, I spent many, many hours on php.net and the phpacademy YouTube channel (when they used to be good). For other languages, I've spent time on YouTube and Lynda.com for the most part. I've also taken a couple classes in school that involve programming in C/C++.

YouTube - Free
php.net stuff - Free
Yes. W3Schools *was* good. And still is for a memory jogger for HTML.

But I wouldn't learn from it