MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: cookie notification system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Expected functionality

With European legislation on the use of cookies would be appropriate to provide the forum for the opening of the same, a notification appears that alerts visitors that the forum you are visiting uses cookies. Once displayed, the visitor can choose to accept, block cookies or display the page dedicated to the policy on cookies.

NB: Excuse me if something does seem right but I used the translator

Any additional notes

NB: Excuse me if something does seem right but I used the translator
I would propose a plugin for this instead, as for any non-EU country, this just adds a popup and code that isn't needed. There's a possibility that one of the team members will port MattRogowski's 1.x Cookie Law plugin to 2.0.
Following this argumentation the whole coppa code should also be outsourced to a plugin...
I agree it should be core. It's needed for a large number of forums, and is hardly difficult to implement.
an option to disable it in the admin cp would be nice since people in the US don't need to display it.
(2015-06-12, 07:17 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]an option to disable it in the admin cp would be nice since people in the US don't need to display it.

Of course.
(2015-06-12, 06:05 PM)Nik101010 Wrote: [ -> ]Following this argumentation the whole coppa code should also be outsourced to a plugin...

I'm not necessarily in favor of COPPA being a thing, honestly. I'd be just fine with that being a plugin too.

Either way, it's likely we'll probably have both it sounds like.
The cookie law I think plugin would be best because its only certain countries. COPPA I believe is a global thing although I could be mistaken. Either way I think a way to force users to be a certain age to register should be core.
(2015-06-13, 01:28 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-12, 06:05 PM)Nik101010 Wrote: [ -> ]Following this argumentation the whole coppa code should also be outsourced to a plugin...

I'm not necessarily in favor of COPPA being a thing, honestly. I'd be just fine with that being a plugin too.
Don't get me wrong - I do not have any problem with those two things beeing plugins. But legal stuff that affects a high amount of potential users should either be (disableable but) core OR realized via plugin, but not mixed.

(2015-06-13, 12:30 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]The cookie law I think plugin would be best because its only certain countries.  COPPA I believe is a global thing although I could be mistaken.  Either way I think a way to force users to be a certain age to register should be core.
COPPA is a US thing. 
Forcing users to be a certain age to register - hmmm - is this such a great use case? Honestly I do not see it for lots of boards...
Yep, it's a US-only thing! Our Congress can (thankfully) only pass things for our country.

The reason I don't really agree with COPPA as it functions right now is that every kid is lying about their age when asked. They know what the common requirements are now, usually adding a few years to theirs to pass by age gates across the Internet.

Sure, this technologically can absolve you from liability on disclosure of their information because you believed with good faith that they were above the age of 13 as stated in the bill.

But it's broken and almost useless at this point...