MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Duplicate code or magic? (ninja md5 somewhere)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Basically, I'm looking for the random md5 that gets used when the user updates their password, from what I can tell, the password is changed through the "user" datahandler.

I've searched my entire modified file, yet I cannot find the md5 that still seems to magically wrap itself around $user['saltedpw'].

A grep for md5( has returned no obvious answers.

Changing the password via the usercp is the only thing effected by the magical md5.

TL;DR: The password stored in the database is MD5 when it should be bcrypt.

EDIT: this was a pebkac error. I cry every time.
I don't understand your question.
//return a bcrypt hash
include_once(dirname(__FILE__)."/bcrypt/bcrypt.php");
$hasher = new BcryptHasher;
$user['saltedpw'] = $hasher->make($user['password']);

Perhaps?
(2015-06-11, 04:52 AM)mikeorman Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand your question.

It's a question that the MyBB developers should understand or someone that knows the MyBB core well.

(2015-06-11, 04:53 AM)Akay Wrote: [ -> ]
//return a bcrypt hash
include_once(dirname(__FILE__)."/bcrypt/bcrypt.php");
$hasher = new BcryptHasher;
$user['saltedpw'] = $hasher->make($user['password']);

Perhaps?

No, there's nothing to do with md5 in that snippet of code.

The md5 happens later and wraps around that bcrypt hash.
(2015-06-11, 04:59 AM)mikeorman Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe this will help you http://community.mybb.com/thread-75972.html

I'm sorry, but it did not. Thanks anyway.
Maybe if you could be a little more specific of what your looking for or why I could be of more use to you.
(2015-06-11, 05:03 AM)mikeorman Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe if you could be a little more specific of what your looking for or why I could be of more use to you.

Like I said, my question is understandable to the people that would know the answer.

But here is my question in an easier to understand format anyway:
My forum has been modified to use bcrypt instead of the default md5. Every single feature related to the password works, apart from this one.

The password gets hashed as bcrypt, but before it is stored in the database, there is an unknown md5() being applied to the $user['saltedpw'] variable.

I have searched for this md5( by performing a grep (a search feature on unix based operating systems) and have not gotten any obvious results.

I am asking where the md5 related to the change password (via the usercp) feature is called.
Can't you just edit the registration code to remove this?
(2015-06-11, 05:11 AM)mikeorman Wrote: [ -> ]Can't you just edit the registration code to remove this?

The problem is not with the registration code, the problem is with the change password via the usercp feature.
Pages: 1 2 3