MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problem with email: how to change mail from VPS to domain mail?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have a problem with Mybb's mail system.

I have my domain (with mailbox) on a hosting and my space (VPS with mybb files + Postfix Mail Server) on other hosting.

I would like to use my mailbox domain (first hosting) to send all my mails to user, also mails of notify etc, because with Postfix mail I can't send some mail for "SPF Failed - not authorized" error.

But how to can I change mail system from VPS to domain mail hosting?
(2015-06-13, 05:18 PM)niere8 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I have a problem with Mybb's mail system.

I have my domain (with mailbox) on a hosting and my space (VPS with mybb files + Postfix Mail Server) on other hosting.

I would like to use my mailbox domain (first hosting) to send all my mails to user, also mails of notify etc, because with Postfix mail I can't send some mail for "SPF Failed - not authorized" error.

But how to can I change mail system from VPS to domain mail hosting?

what is domain mail hosting?
It's a mess to explain Sad  I have 2 hosting:

- first hosting I use only for my domain site.com because its webspace is too small for my forum and I have also a webmail there, I use this for "manual" mail from my domain [email protected] (for example IP 123.11.22.33)
- second hosting I bought a VPS for forum's webspace (for example IP 93.93.93.11) and it has Postfix, so the "automatic" notify mail from forum are sent with this IP and not with my other IP domain

Now I have the problem of the mails from forum. Gmail and other similar often refuse the mail from my forum (VPS) and they come back. Then I thought of use other my IP (first hosting) to send all mail from my forum, because it has also SPF and I think it works without problems.

But I don't know if and how to do this Sad

From hosting VPS (notify mail etc from my forum with VPS):

Quote:This is the mail system at host mysite.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: host etb-1.mail.tiscali.it[213.205.33.64] said: 550
   5.1.0 <[email protected]> SPF Failed - not authorized (in reply to
   MAIL FROM command)

and

Quote:This is the mail system at host mysite.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2a00:1450:400c:c0b::1a]
   said: 550-5.7.1 [2a04:dd00::84cf:5303      12] Our system has detected that
   this 550-5.7.1 message is likely unsolicited mail. To reduce the amount of
   spam sent 550-5.7.1 to Gmail, this message has been blocked. Please visit
   550 5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/188131 for more
   information. gn12si7176694wjc.137 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA command)

:/
Does your VPS host routinely block port 25? You could ask them what their policy is and ask for it to be unblocked. I think Google frown on using your personal email address as a proxy smtp server (you need a paid Google Apps account). I am not sure if shared hosting providers would allow it either as you do not have your own mail server on shared hosting .. its shared. If they do allow it you need to point your DNS 'A' and 'MX' records on your VPS or shared host account (not both) to your shared host's mail server IP.
A few things to look up that play into spam filtering nowadays:

SPF (DNS record)
DMARC (DNS record)
DKIM (via DNS record)

Having those things configured correctly does significantly alter the frequency that mail gets marked as spam, in my experience.

Source: Run my own mail server Smile